Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Locked up the bike in town today, just round the corner from the main thoroughfare. Three hours later I was panicking as I couldn't find my keys. Retraced my steps back to the bike. Found the keys ... still in the padlock. Bike, keys and all accessories exactly where I'd left them though my heart relocated to my mouth. Think that's what you call a double facepalm moment.
Before I report on my ride today dr_pink says I should recount the time I cycled into town, locked the bike with a reasonable cable lock and went off to the shops. I returned, fished out the keys and spent several frustrating minutes trying unsuccessfully to get the key to work. Eventually it dawned on me that I had picked up dr_pink's lock by mistake and she was in Leicester, 23 miles away. It ended up with me persuading the local bike shop [luckily I knew them] to lend me an axesaw. Sweaty palm moment when a police car cruised past.

Mandragora

Nothing as glamorous or exciting today as the rides above. Met office managed to get our weather forecast for the weekend entirely the wrong way round, so did a long-ish coastal ride yesterday in watery sun, expecting today to be grey. Not a bit of it, but had other commitments which meant that I had to hold off till this afternoon, when I sneaked in a quick 'round the block six miles' in glorious, crisp sunshine.^_^

A shame today wasn't like this last week. I was slightly worried the fog that was so thick last night would still there this morning, fortunately all that was visible was blue sky. The roads were wet and barely dried at all but then there was very little wind and the temperature ranged from 7.5C to 10.5C. About 9 miles into the ride I spotted this very pale specimen of a Red Kite through the hedge. Sorry about the quality, twas the phone.
2AC01F42-BD28-4A09-A7EC-C047DCD65737_zps82wsd6o5.jpg

We had decided to reverse the route we did last week for my birthday ride, it is a bit rolling and a bit more difficult this way round, the longest climbs come with around 7 miles to go. The colours out there today had a vibrancy not often seen so late in the season, oak trees really come into their own.
71BBBE89-1F7D-45E0-AB93-1CC5C8DC3012_zpsuhjepp3f.jpg

E22CFF1C-DB73-409F-BABB-D80616648EE2_zpsocanram4.jpg

Sensory overload
0AD8EB22-6006-4777-824E-22C1C1464ACA_zpsancjqwl3.jpg

So there we are riding side by side chatting away when another rider came alongside, he said hello, looked down at dr_pink's bike [which is very pink] and remarked "single speed I see", to which dr_pink replied indignantly, "yes, fixed". He pulled slowly away from us and at about 30 m ahead we exchanged a look, no words were needed, dr_pink's excuse is that she was well aware that a hill was coming up in a mile or so. In my head I was thinking, this is all wrong, how can a guy in a pink Rapha gillet, Garmin helmet, Sky water bottle and riding a Specialized without mudguards be going quicker than us? I sat on little exocets wheel and waited for the fireworks to begin. We began to slowly close the gap to about 15 m, then around a right hand bend and boom! Off she went, I clung on, he never saw it coming. I think I may have mentioned it before, but always know who you are overtaking [he obviously missed the National Hill Climb drinks bottle on dr_pink's bike], it saves a red face. We were kind though and waited for him, had a chat and parted ways further up the road.
178EA144-7C49-43AF-9F91-1E8898A7B788_zpsmmzhlj8w.jpg

50 miles, hugely enjoyable and back before lunch.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today I was supposed to be out for a gentle ride up the Brampton Valley Way, a fairly flat ride, with a regular riding compadre of mine who is really unwell at the moment. Unfortunately, due to chemo and radiotherapy kicking in, he had to cry off. Such a shame to see a good friend laid low...
However, I had planned a few miles and I still intended to get out for a while before t'missus picked up a carpet cleaning thingie for me to shampoo the lounge, halls & stairs this afternoon :sad:

DSC_0036.JPG

Fearing an explosion down by the river, I quickly headed off along the Washlands towards the town just to be on the safe side...Once there, I was hoping to use the South Bank of the Nene to avoid the local retail park, but since I last used the path, houses are being built on it! with no suitable diversion for bikes. I presume tha, once finished, provision will be made.

DSC_0039.JPG

At the moment, it's not really 'bike friendly' :laugh:

Part of the plan for the ride was to find some caged bearing for my 'Dale SL4 so I meandered around the West side of town and up to Kings Heath to a few LBS's but they were all closed. Never mind, Pitsford Cycles is open on Sundays so I tootled up the Brampton Valley Way past Chapel Brampton railway station where the Santa Express was running.

sketch-1417374392664.jpg

Looks a bit more like Hogwarts to be honest.. Never mind, they were some kids enjoying the day out.

DSC_0048.JPG

Further down the track, some of the old rolling stock is still around.

As a diversion, as the BVW is a bit of a straight line, I head off on a tangent if I spot the chance.

DSC_0044.JPG

Sometimes though, it gets a bit bogged up! :rolleyes:

Once I reached Pitsford Cycles, I had a chat with the lads and showed them my knackered bearings and they dug around the stock for some replacements. As the larger bottom bearing was Canondale specific, they couldn't help me, but they had the top one. On asking how much I owed them the owner wouldn't take anything for it. This is why we should value our LBS!

After a blast around the reservoir, I had to get back to do my chores.

DSC_0062.JPG

Passing through a gate I use quite frequently, I felt I was being watched!!! Not noticed the eyes before. Spooky...

Ne'ertheless, I made it home in one piece :thumbsup:

30 miles in weather that made me wish I'd popped my shorts on.

http://www.strava.com/activities/224768784

:smile:

galaxy

Veteran
5000 and counting…

My ride today was nothing too special – a rather foggy, damp and misty run down the cyclepath to Newcastle for lunch at The Cycle Hub. However, down in Swalwell, I clocked up my 5000th kilometer of the year. It was certainly not my best kilometer, being beside one of the feeder rivers into the Tyne at low tide, with muddy banks, and the railings falling into the river. But it was a milestone, and one I’m unlikely to repeat.

1973880_10152823524082180_1816044491949819058_o.jpg

10409197_10152823524317180_2888244205005780041_n.jpg

screen-shot-2014-11-29-at-15-57-28.png

We’re now at that time of year when the Dirty Disco is getting dirty again, but this year has been a great year of cycling:

2014.jpe

Some of the highlights have been:
Looking forward to next year!
Som eof my old stomping ground there, i used to be,long to The Houghton CC, and regualaly ride and Time Trial out that way, great part of the country

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
. I had given blood again on Wednesday night, just 12 weeks after my last donation. They wanted to book me in again in 12 weeks time, but I have put my foot down this time and held out until April. I was wondering why they kept prodding me into action to donate so often (59 times so far) .... then the other day I received a letter telling me that I had a really rare ("Ro") sub-group that only 1% of people have, and which is useful for people with sickle cell anaemia. That explained the urgency, but I think it's time to listen to my body and give myself a bit longer to restore my red blood cells next time. Anyone else suffer a bit with low energy levels after blood donations?

12 weeks is on the cusp for men (it's 16 for women). It's to do with possible iron deficiency and the wait between donations thus attempts to ensure your haemoglobin levels (which should be checked every time you donate) are correct. A dip can result in fatigue.

BTW Many years ago I once left the donating area too soon, went and treated myself to a self-satisfied cigar (I've long since quit), and ended up as high as a kite. :blink:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
.... I had given blood again on Wednesday night, just 12 weeks after my last donation. They wanted to book me in again in 12 weeks time, but I have put my foot down this time and held out until April. I was wondering why they kept prodding me into action to donate so often (59 times so far) .... then the other day I received a letter telling me that I had a really rare ("Ro") sub-group that only 1% of people have, and which is useful for people with sickle cell anaemia. That explained the urgency, but I think it's time to listen to my body and give myself a bit longer to restore my red blood cells next time. Anyone else suffer a bit with low energy levels after blood donations.?...

I do occasionally feel tired after donating platelets, but for no more than a few hours. Are you drinking and eating enough afterwards?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
6.5 miles today, another utility ride to the J Arthur, and then to the LBS for an innertube and puncture kit. It was my intention to go out on the Dawes Kingpin today after fitting my new Brooks saddle and Brookes tool bag and mend a puncture in the front inner tube. After several attempts to fix the hole in the crease of the tube, the patches just would not take, so I gave up, got togged up and went on the Whyte brid of Hy.

When I got to the bank there was some JW god botherers standing outside trying to save everyone's soul, preaching and handing out leaflets, I nearly gave a them a peace of my mind, but in the end I just gave them a hard cold Paddington Bear stare and they left me alone. That'll learn em.

Today was my first ride for a couple of weeks. 200 foot of skirting painted, garage door and frame painted, house cleanish, still loads to do but not quite deadline-ish.

No piccies of the ride today, so here is a photo of the garage door I painted.
IMG_1460.JPG

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I do occasionally feel tired after donating platelets, but for no more than a few hours. Are you drinking and eating enough afterwards?
Yes ... everything as normal. I guess I wouldn't have passed the anaemia test if I hadn't been OK to give, and I ate and drank normally, but I just felt different this time. And it was the first time that I had given twice in the space of 12 weeks. I normally drool the evening away in front of the telly after giving, but this time I felt dozy for a couple of days and then well off the pace when cycling a couple of days later. Feeling fine now though. Thanks for your replies, @CarlP and @john George.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Today was my first ride for 9 days after I had decided to give my ageing body a bit of a break from more punishment & give me some time to get the Christmas shopping done. (although it seems that I may have eaten too many mince pies as I'm over a kilo heavier than 9 days ago! :mrpig:)

I decided to keep it to a relatively flat route which took me south across the New Forest and past Beaulieu before heading south-west towards Lymington. I then turned off to the south into a more agricultural landscape to explore a few roads I hadn't visited before where I came across Sowley Pond, which my research has uncovered was created by 14th century monks from nearby Beaulieu Abbey as a fishery. Its amazing what you discover on a bike.

A slight schoolboy error on my part whereby I'd forgotten how quickly it gets dark & only had my back light meant little time for pics today but a nice 35 miles in the slightly chilly but thankfully dry weather.

http://www.strava.com/activities/225189902

001.JPG

My new discovery, Sowley Pond.

djb1971

Legendary Member
6.5 miles today, another utility ride to the J Arthur, and then to the LBS for an innertube and puncture kit. It was my intention to go out on the Dawes Kingpin today after fitting my new Brooks saddle and Brookes tool bag and mend a puncture in the front inner tube. After several attempts to fix the hole in the crease of the tube, the patches just would not take, so I gave up, got togged up and went on the Whyte brid of Hy.

When I got to the bank there was some JW god botherers standing outside trying to save everyone's soul, preaching and handing out leaflets, I nearly gave a them a peace of my mind, but in the end I just gave them a hard cold Paddington Bear stare and they left me alone. That'll learn em.

Today was my first ride for a couple of weeks. 200 foot of skiring painted, garage door and frame painted, house cleanish, still loads to do but not quite deadline-ish.

No piccies of the ride today, so here is a photo of the garage door I painted. View attachment 63031
Nice color, it's the same a one of my bikes:thumbsup:

gavgav

Guru
I started this winter by saying that I wasn't going to let the dark nights stop me from cycling....4 weeks later and I've only done 1 evening ride, so I dragged myself out after work for a ride. Wish I hadn't bothered!

Faffed around in the dark, getting the bike out of the shed (no power to the shed) and set off towards the Quarry Park, with the intention of calling in to see how my new house is progressing. I'm told that the Roof Trusses are going on.

Had been going for 2 miles when I see a red light appear on top of my front light. What's that I think to myself.....oh yes, the low battery indicator!:thumbsdown:

I was wearing hi viz and said to myself, it's ok it will last the 15 miles I am planning and even if it doesn't I have my old set in the rack pack to put on......

I continue through the Park and out onto the Cycle Paths, where I encounter 2 cars completely blocking the way by parking fully in the Cycle Path. Heading down towards Meole, sudden darkness as the front light packs up. I pull over and delve into the rack pack to get the old one out, can't find it and then remember I had taken it out on my last daytime ride to make more room :shy: :cursing:.

Decided to cut the ride short and miss calling at my new house because it would mean riding on the road without a front light. Not doing that, so continued to the underpass, where I ploughed into inches of thick mud from where the River must have burst its banks over the weekend. Couldn't see it due to no lights! How I didn't slide and crash I really don't know, but I slithered through and out to follow the partially lit cycle paths back home.

Shortly after, I encountered a jogger, half in the walkers path and half in the cycle path, rang bell 3 times, including once when virtually stopped behind him. He didn't move at all and so I pushed past and informed him I had rung my bell 3 times and he might like to move over a bit. Probably shouldn't have but he bore the brunt of my frustrations from the ride.

Arrived home, having done 9.5 miles, which I didn't enjoy and I now hate cycling in the dark even more.

Lights currently on charge!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I started this winter by saying that I wasn't going to let the dark nights stop me from cycling....4 weeks later and I've only done 1 evening ride, so I dragged myself out after work for a ride. Wish I hadn't bothered!

Faffed around in the dark, getting the bike out of the shed (no power to the shed) and set off towards the Quarry Park, with the intention of calling in to see how my new house is progressing. I'm told that the Roof Trusses are going on.

Had been going for 2 miles when I see a red light appear on top of my front light. What's that I think to myself.....oh yes, the low battery indicator!:thumbsdown:

I was wearing hi viz and said to myself, it's ok it will last the 15 miles I am planning and even if it doesn't I have my old set in the rack pack to put on......

I continue through the Park and out onto the Cycle Paths, where I encounter 2 cars completely blocking the way by parking fully in the Cycle Path. Heading down towards Meole, sudden darkness as the front light packs up. I pull over and delve into the rack pack to get the old one out, can't find it and then remember I had taken it out on my last daytime ride to make more room :shy: :cursing:.

Decided to cut the ride short and miss calling at my new house because it would mean riding on the road without a front light. Not doing that, so continued to the underpass, where I ploughed into inches of thick mud from where the River must have burst its banks over the weekend. Couldn't see it due to no lights! How I didn't slide and crash I really don't know, but I slithered through and out to follow the partially lit cycle paths back home.

Shortly after, I encountered a jogger, half in the walkers path and half in the cycle path, rang bell 3 times, including once when virtually stopped behind him. He didn't move at all and so I pushed past and informed him I had rung my bell 3 times and he might like to move over a bit.

Arrived home, having done 9.5 miles, which I didn't enjoy and I now hate cycling in the dark even more.

Lights currently on charge!
:sad: Not good. Please don't let it put you off.

The underpass has been like that for a week now.:wacko: Hopefully it'll get cleaned soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom