Your rides this year: 2014 Review of the year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black Country Ste

I got in my first ride of 2014 pretty quickly with a 2am ride on New Year's Day with the roads almost entirely to myself. And so I set about trying to double 2013's mileage of 1,648mi. I was looking set to blast through that target but after tailing off badly in the last three months I'm 125 miles short.

Highlights would be:

• My first 100km solo ride, going out to Stourport and back with some accidental cyclocross on a bridleway at Tardebigge.
  • My first audax, the Staffordshire Lanes 102km with a mate and not long after...
  • ... the Cotswold Journey 160km, my first real money ton and done solo.
  • A very wet Exmouth Exodus, 110 miles through the night-time West Country in the death throes of Hurricane Bertha.
  • One week later the Clee to Heaven. Back to daytime cycling in better weather but far more demanding in its 120km of relentless climbing. Getting there and back made it a 100 miler.
  • A few days off work and time for some serious mileage. 75 miles out to Pershore and back to watch the Tour of Britain pass, quickly followed by...
  • ... a mini tour! Two days to Manchester and back to see Edguy. Starting with a train to Penkridge to dodge the morning rush hour I did 85 miles out and 100 back the next afternoon.
Whether or not I can persuade myself to go out in icy weather to make up the last few miles of my target it's been a good year with some solid personal victories. For 2015 I'm signed up to the Cardiff Velothon, for which there's a supposed time limit I will struggle to beat. I'm targeting a Birmingham to London return, perhaps over three days and the Dunwich Dynamo. There's a possibility of taking on a non-cycling support role in a friend's LEJOG attempt. I'd take the bike anyway and get in a few short rides.

I wrote about mine over on my blog: http://velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/cycling-highlights-2014.html
The overwhelming highlight was cycle touring in Scotland in June.
But there is something to enjoy in every season, on any road, when you're on a bike.
The other lessons I've learned this year: (1) look after yourself and (2) as much as I enjoy cycling alone, it's equally important to cycle with friends.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Well I only started cycling again in September after what I think was something like a 17/18 year absence. I used to cycle a lot when I was a kid but stopped doing it - lost interest, schoolwork, computers were all occupying my time.

Fast forward to 2014 and I think something sparked a light with me back in about August time that I could, possibly, commute to work. I managed to talk the wife into buying me a bike, albeit a cheap one from Halfords.I think that lasted only a couple of weeks, and it went back to the shop as it was frankly rubbish. Anyway, I bought a cheap hybrid then (Claud Butler one). It's not up to the standards of most bikes I see here, but again, turning something I hadn't done in 17 years into a regular hobby is difficult to justify spending masses of money on. Despite this, I am quite happy with my hybrid and on October 3rd I started commuting to work. :smile: For the rest of the year I think I have only missed a handful of shifts at work, only because of ill-health in my family, or because of inclement weather. It does get a bit icy about this time of year and I decided that on those days it probably isn't worth the risk.

In total I have cycled 450 miles this year and I full intend to increase this number 10-fold in 2015 with full-time commuting and more pleasure rides.

My biggest ride was 29 miles with two colleagues from work -and that was only 7 weeks after I started! I had no idea we'd go so far and I didn't even think about it at the time but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Since then I've invested in a rack/pannier bags, proper hi-viz jackets and now clipless pedals (and I killed a gnome today testing them out) but that's another story.

What I would do differently - well I'm going to continue as I am for now - keep on commuting and getting in my 50-60 miles a week solid. When I can't make it out - I have an exercise bike in the back bedroom. I want to save up for a second bike to complement this one for pleasure rides but I will wait until I have lost some weight. I have lost some already but any losses I have made - Christmas has seen to that :smile:

2015 will be year with a lot more cyclo-commuting for me, not because of costs - or anything like that - I'm doing this purely for health. Saving a tank of diesel a month is absolutely secondary to me, I'm doing this for my health :smile:

Full stats (Strava)

Year-to-Date
Distance 422.3 mi
Time 38h 31m
Elev Gain 14,331 ft
Rides 51

I did another 25 miles outside of this not tracked on Strava.

Fubar

Guru
I feel worthy posting here now that I've completed my mileage target for the year, so here are my highlights:

• Completing the 100k a Month Challenge for 2014, clocking 33 100k rides this year;
  • Hitting my target of 5000 miles for the year, up from 3000 in 2013 and under 1000 in 2012;
  • Organising and completing the CC Ecosse Island Tour to Islay in August, without any deaths occurring;
  • Longest Ride - 200k on 30 August;
  • Fastest Ride - Average 30.8KPH over 40 miles back in August (a productive month!);
  • Hardest Ride - Etape Pennines, took cramp after 45 miles - could have wept at the end!
  • Biggest Fail - night before the Island Tour forgetting overshorts so having to ride home from work in very short hotpants, then falling off on a slippy kerb - in hotpants!

My only goal I didn't achieve was a 20mph average speed ride, though I'm getting closer - may also try a TT in 2015...

All in all a good cycling year. Cheers, Mark

Last edited:

Stevie Mcluskey

Über Member
Has been a reasonable year for me. After heading home from work today i'll have reached 3030 miles for the year. Almost all commuting including some longer routes home during the summer.

Down on the tarmac twice one my fault (wet day going from road to pavement) and one very light collision with an out the blue u turner in Clarkston with no damage.

Hoped to do some longer runs in summer but various reasons prevented. I'm please that i've managed more miles commuting.

Not setting any targets for next year regards total milage but would like to do a few 50+ runs.Also will have to try and manage to one of the runs organised by the Ecosse guys.

andabby

Über Member
I just started cycling proper in May, doing 6 hilly tarmac miles, increasing 4 miles every 3 or 4 rides, getting to 24 on my old MTB, by time id gotten to my last decent ride in November ive gotten to 33 miles on a new road bike.
Not fallen off yet, but with arrival of clipped in pedals im counting the weeks til ive no skin on my elbows or knees.

djb1971

Legendary Member
My highlight ride, a week on Mull.
Gorgeous weather, perfect pitches for the tent and lots of wildlife.

The crowning moment, sunrise, half naked hanging out my tent with a coffee, an otter just strolled past the tent. He was rummaging along the beach (first pic below), just looked at me and carried on. Yes it was a he, I could see the bits dangling he was so close!

I wasn't too keen on the bulls messing around my bike and tent in the early hours though.

I'll be there again late spring, not too long to wait:whistle:

14206533286_af14c479c4_z.jpg

14043002370_c02faf04c7_z.jpg

14249687513_16af04c79a_z.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My highlight ride, a week on Mull.
Gorgeous weather, perfect pitches for the tent and lots of wildlife.

The crowning moment, sunrise, half naked hanging out my tent with a coffee, an otter just strolled past the tent. He was rummaging along the beach (first pic below), just looked at me and carried on. Yes it was a he, I could see the bits dangling he was so close!

I wasn't too keen on the bulls messing around my bike and tent in the early hours though.

I'll be there again late spring, not too long to wait:whistle:

14206533286_af14c479c4_z.jpg

14043002370_c02faf04c7_z.jpg

14249687513_16af04c79a_z.jpg
Lovely!

I rode on Mull in September but became ill during the ride so the day was not quite as special as it should have been. I aim to go back and complete a full circuit of the island next time I visit my family up there.

The Scottish side of the family originated on Mull. They came over to the mainland in the 1800s.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Lovely!

I rode on Mull in September but became ill during the ride so the day was not quite as special as it should have been. I aim to go back and complete a full circuit of the island next time I visit my family up there.

The Scottish side of the family originated on Mull. They came over to the mainland in the 1800s.
I love it on Mull, I try to go 3-4 times a year. I'd go more often but the drive there takes all day:sad:

I'm just taking my fatbike, tarp and bivi next time, found some cracking off road routes that go up into the mountains:thumbsup:

Just hoping the midges are scared of heights:laugh:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Just scraped into my annual target of 7,000 miles a couple of days ago. It would have been higher, but acute sciatica put paid to any serious mileage for all of September.
Still, I did manage to do a straight 190 consecutive days of cycling from 5th June, until the day of the Fridays' Christmas gathering at ABO on the 12th December, when possible likely intoxication made using a bike unwise.
Highlights of the year were many, including 10 FNRttCs, but the two rides that really stood out were the Isle of Wight circumnavigation in March, led by @StuAff , and the high speed run to Brighton and back at the end of June, already mentioned by @jayonabike , led by @ianrauk . Thank you all and each, for those.
The lowlights were also twofold - the tragic event on the Manchester-Morecambe FNRttC, and a non-ride, missing @mcshroom 's Carlisle-Newcastle ride due to September's incapacity.
Pressures of work prevented a holiday this year, but I'm crossing everything in the hope that 2015 will improve in that respect.
All in all a good year, tho' but.
A couple of people in this thread have alluded to the Eddington number, so I'm going to join in and report an increase this year to 64, since 2010. (Isn't the COUNTIF Excel function useful?)

A happy New Year to all!

Its been a good year on the bike for me.

Stats are as follows
Distance - 13,421km
Elevation climbed - 140,910m
No of rides - 266

Highlights of the year
A week cycling on Mallorca in March
A week cycling on Mallorca in October
Hiring and road bike on Cyprus during our family summer holiday and doing a bit of exploring.
Getting involved with the coaching of the kids and juniors of the bike club I'm in
Doing my first ever cyclocross race.

Lowlights

A slight off in May in which I injured my knee. Off the bike for 2 weeks
Being involved in a very nasty road rage incident which resulted in a club mate of mine going through the back window of the car involved and sustaining quite serious facial injuries. Driver has subsequently been charged with ' causing injury by dangerous driving' Case comes to court sometime next year.

As for 2015 I'm hoping to complete the next level of my coaching course to become a British Cycling Level 3 coach. I've also entered the Mallorca 312 which is on the 25th April. This will be my biggest cycling challenge to date.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Well I only started cycling again in September after what I think was something like a 17/18 year absence. I used to cycle a lot when I was a kid but stopped doing it - lost interest, schoolwork, computers were all occupying my time.

Fast forward to 2014 and I think something sparked a light with me back in about August time that I could, possibly, commute to work. I managed to talk the wife into buying me a bike, albeit a cheap one from Halfords.I think that lasted only a couple of weeks, and it went back to the shop as it was frankly rubbish. Anyway, I bought a cheap hybrid then (Claud Butler one). It's not up to the standards of most bikes I see here, but again, turning something I hadn't done in 17 years into a regular hobby is difficult to justify spending masses of money on. Despite this, I am quite happy with my hybrid and on October 3rd I started commuting to work. :smile: For the rest of the year I think I have only missed a handful of shifts at work, only because of ill-health in my family, or because of inclement weather. It does get a bit icy about this time of year and I decided that on those days it probably isn't worth the risk.

In total I have cycled 450 miles this year and I full intend to increase this number 10-fold in 2015 with full-time commuting and more pleasure rides.

My biggest ride was 29 miles with two colleagues from work -and that was only 7 weeks after I started! I had no idea we'd go so far and I didn't even think about it at the time but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Since then I've invested in a rack/pannier bags, proper hi-viz jackets and now clipless pedals (and I killed a gnome today testing them out) but that's another story.

What I would do differently - well I'm going to continue as I am for now - keep on commuting and getting in my 50-60 miles a week solid. When I can't make it out - I have an exercise bike in the back bedroom. I want to save up for a second bike to complement this one for pleasure rides but I will wait until I have lost some weight. I have lost some already but any losses I have made - Christmas has seen to that :smile:

2015 will be year with a lot more cyclo-commuting for me, not because of costs - or anything like that - I'm doing this purely for health. Saving a tank of diesel a month is absolutely secondary to me, I'm doing this for my health :smile:

Full stats (Strava)

Year-to-Date
Distance 422.3 mi
Time 38h 31m
Elev Gain 14,331 ft
Rides 51

I did another 25 miles outside of this not tracked on Strava.

Sounds very like me last year, bought hybrid, then panniers/rack hi viz love the commute...October this year I have splashed out on a road bike and started logging rides on Strava end of July but the faithful load carrying hybrid still reliably gets me to work and back every day whatever the weather (except ice and illness) Health, freedom, enjoyment and saving fuel (environment and cost) all do it for me.

We rock don't we?!

Top Bottom