Your walk today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yesterday‘s walk was up the fell behind Brentwood, Ruskin’s place on Coniston. Walked up through the steep garden and then kept going. Met a mountain biker three times who was either lost or doing hill reps.

EB621464-0FB9-44D6-BCE3-BE000EA20D3B.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Strava tracking oddity on a 5.4 mile walk today
IMG_20230417_194648.jpg

The return walk heading off to the top of the extract never crossed the outbound walk. Fron where the tracked routes cross on a road you can see a gap through to a car park and that is where I walked.

Mike_P

Guru
A walk to Screwfix and B&Q this morning, due to the former having no where to lock a bike to. Cheap CR2032s picked up there as referred to in the Found a Bargain thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/posts/6967326/
while a £5 voucher was used up in B&Q on lawn feed/moss killer, weed killer, patio cleaner and vinyl gloves. A pretty heavy rucksack carted up hill back home, B&Q being on the low rise at 1.8 miles on the elevation below. 3.26 miles 189ft climbed

IMG_20230430_111359.jpg

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Short walk in the rain - made more pleasant by some nice people that I stopped and chatted to for ages as per the big gaps in the traces.

Screenshot_20230511_131048_Connect.jpg

4.37 miles, just over 1000' ascent @ 3.2mph. Pleased with my maximum heart rate.

Looking across towards the Pennines:

20230511_113132.jpg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
51 years old here - and been very lucky to have avoided anything like serious injuries; but have been laying low (Exercise-wise) for a month to 6-weeks due to a niggly right knee. Resulting in i think (?) only my second ever 'Injuries Clinic' type visit this past Wednesday.

Great news is after a full body assessment - and before committing to any sort of diagnosis - said i was incredibly fit and flexible for my age. And that my knee was nothing serious requiring surgery etc. Likely not even manipulation. But will probably require some massage sessions and ongoing exercising due to being / having some weak muscles that are not fully supporting my joint.

So i Googled this; before my first actual 'repair' session next Wednesday - and have been doing some generic knee strengthening exercises myself. If nothing else it feels wonderful to have some clarity that so far it appears nothing serious is going on.

What i find amazing is that someone who played golf Professionally for 15 years, who's worked a right knee pretty hard during that time, has always been into sport, who regularly does upto 20k steps a day at work and who enjoys cycling; and walking in 10 mile stints has a "weak knee" ? :crazy:

The only real issue muscle-wise i've ever had was with a Rotator Cuff. Where in some guises - a small muscle in your shoulder is asked to do too much work. With golf i used to have to exercise, strengthen, warm-up and protect that. I can only ponder and assume its perhaps that type of knee injury i'm struggling with - or perhaps my gait somehow means i stress / use some parts more or less equally than others. Because as a whole my knee has had / gets more use than most i would think.

Either way; more clarity to come; and looks like i've started on the right road. Apologies for the 'rant'. Just feels good to be on the road to be able to start exercising in earnest again. I've hated having to lay low through rest / worry about what i might do long-term if i carried on.......

Slick

Guru
51 years old here - and been very lucky to have avoided anything like serious injuries; but have been laying low (Exercise-wise) for a month to 6-weeks due to a niggly right knee. Resulting in i think (?) only my second ever 'Injuries Clinic' type visit this past Wednesday.

Great news is after a full body assessment - and before committing to any sort of diagnosis - said i was incredibly fit and flexible for my age. And that my knee was nothing serious requiring surgery etc. Likely not even manipulation. But will probably require some massage sessions and ongoing exercising due to being / having some weak muscles that are not fully supporting my joint.

So i Googled this; before my first actual 'repair' session next Wednesday - and have been doing some generic knee strengthening exercises myself. If nothing else it feels wonderful to have some clarity that so far it appears nothing serious is going on.

What i find amazing is that someone who played golf Professionally for 15 years, who's worked a right knee pretty hard during that time, has always been into sport, who regularly does upto 20k steps a day at work and who enjoys cycling; and walking in 10 mile stints has a "weak knee" ? :crazy:

The only real issue muscle-wise i've ever had was with a Rotator Cuff. Where in some guises - a small muscle in your shoulder is asked to do too much work. With golf i used to have to exercise, strengthen, warm-up and protect that. I can only ponder and assume its perhaps that type of knee injury i'm struggling with - or perhaps my gait somehow means i stress / use some parts more or less equally than others. Because as a whole my knee has had / gets more use than most i would think.

Either way; more clarity to come; and looks like i've started on the right road. Apologies for the 'rant'. Just feels good to be on the road to be able to start exercising in earnest again. I've hated having to lay low through rest / worry about what i might do long-term if i carried on.......

My understanding is, its because you have done what you did that you have a weak knee, although as I know you will know this, its normally the other knee that goes in golfers. Well, good ones anyway. :laugh:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
My understanding is, its because you have done what you did that you have a weak knee....

I hear you; and kind of understand. But am also struggling to compute somewhat. Best i don't Google too much; risk becoming a Hypochondriac and instead trust the Professional i'm paying to keep me from falling apart......

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We had a lovely day here today. It is my friend's birthday and I said that I would go for a walk over some of our local hills with her.

We caught the number 7 bus from Todmorden which goes over to Rossendale. We used it to get us up the Bacup Rd to nearly 400 metres elevation, which made it an easy 10 km (6 mile) walk. Most of it was fairly level or downhill, apart from a few sharp upward ramps.

I got the idea for the route when I did a MTB ride along Limer's Gate last weekend with a different friend.

Here's a map and profile of our route today:
Walk elevation profile - 130523.jpg

And a selection of photos...

Soil erosion prevention measures?
Soil erosion measures - 130523.jpg

Pond, trig point, windfarm
Pond trig point windfarm - 130523.jpg

Looking down towards Todmorden
Todmorden from hills - 130523.jpg

Walking in sunshine - bliss!
Sunny walk 130523 - 1.jpg

Steep sunny path
Sunny path trees 130523.jpg

Down through woods to Todmorden
Woods back into Todmorden - 130523.jpg

A few hours away from the hustle and bustle, in the sunshine - nice!

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Pushed the knee today for the first time in nearly 6 (?) weeks. Feeling pretty good: fingers crossed. Not hard to be fair; on such a fabulous, warm evening to be out and about ‘exploring’……

Attachments

• IMG_8592.jpeg
    IMG_8592.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8590.jpeg
    IMG_8590.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8591.jpeg
    IMG_8591.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8589.jpeg
    IMG_8589.jpeg