Apple computer problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This is a bit of a long shot. I have come into possession legally of 3 Apple devices. An iPad Pro, a MacBook Pro and a watch. We do not have any passwords or any info at all on these devices other than the name and address of the previous owner and naturally all are password protected. Access would be useful to help wind up the affairs of the previous owner who has died as nearly everything is paperless nowadays and no records exist. Also of course eventually I could use these things myself. Apple is reputed to be totally unhelpful tho' to be fair I have not tried them myself yet. Good for anti theft but there must be many genuine cases where there is s complete blank. Anyone had any experience of this scenario? Microsoft PC's can be accessed and we are hoping to perhaps get a lead from a PC he had once it is cracked. He was obviously keen on computers!

classic33

Leg End Member
Apple ID used?

Might be worth popping in to an Apple store and see if you can get a slot at the genius bar,they are usually pretty helpful.

Tin Pot

Guru
The guy who sold them to you needs to disassociate his ID from the devices before handing them over.

It's like selling someone a house without giving them the code to the burglar alarm. Or a car without the keys.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There is no id or passwords of any kind. They came from somebody who is now dead and there is no paperwork of any kind to be found. The Apple shop in Aberdeen I have been told cannot help and would have to go back to HQ. As another poster said even the uk govt or in USA the FBI are told to get lost. Stalemate. Either do not buy any Apple products or if you do leave your passwords prominently displayed which somewhat defeats the purpose of passwords. You may after all get run over by a bus tomorrow morning and your administrators will have no clue where your bank account is or any other financial dealings you may have. Will not bother you but others have to clear up the mess.

For the MacBook, buy a USB enclosure eg http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...0-sata-hard-drive-enclosure-10146607-pdt.html and remove the hard drive from the Mac (easy to do with a tiny screwdriver, Google for instructions) and put in the enclosure. Plug it into another computer and you should be able to read it. Personal files most likely in /Users/<name>. If it's encrypted - unlikely - there is nothing you can do.

Tin Pot

Guru
If passing on products after your death is more important to you than your information security, sure. However, if you are like the rest of the world, your advice is bollocks.

I won't discuss means to overcome legitimate security, the morality is obvious.

For next of kin who have had their partner die, there is a discussion worth having - should they take their secrets to their grave? A friend of mine has been dealing with his family falling apart after his father in law died, they logged into his computer and found out he had another family a couple of counties away.

Top Bottom