Brompton Project Part Two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
excellent job you've done well.
Looks nice too, and at a great price.
Congratulations and enjoy your freshments at the pub.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I had a delivery today. @EltonFrog is to blame, once I saw his, I had to have one.

What a lovely bit of kit, expensive at £65 but definitely worth it, I love the way it fits into the frame tube.

IMG_1643.jpeg

IMG_1644.jpeg

IMG_1645.jpeg

IMG_1646.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I am fully addicted now, next purchase is going to have to be one of these, a Matumura Kohki Scrowave Suspension Spring £85 is a bit strong though.

IMG_0918.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@wafter has been very quiet, I think the stress of Brompton ownership has tipped him over the edge.

He’s talking about a Brooks C17 on the main forum.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I am fully addicted now, next purchase is going to have to be one of these, a Matumura Kohki Scrowave Suspension Spring £85 is a bit strong though.

View attachment 696885
Looks tarty but will it actually give better performance than the standard item? Was only recently thinking about how elegant and functional the simple standard rubber bush is tbh. I'm a sucker for shiny bits but am yet to be convinced by these..

You’ve got it bad, ain’t ya? What’s the deal with that?

I recently bought a Quad Lock for mine, I got fed up with taking the phone out of my pocket to check the navigation when we were cycling along the Danube.
Mine came with a Quad lock mount too - looks like a decent unit however the seller had lost the little rubber bushes that sit between the mount and bars and sourcing some at a reasonable price seems... taxing. Further it seems that no off-the-shelf adaptor exists to fit my Polar device to this mount (which is what I want to use it for; screw the phone) so best case so far seems to be to buy a Polar insert for something else and 3D print some horror to lash the two together.

Should be a straightforward little project actually; although potentially torpedoed by the bush issue..

@wafter has been very quiet, I think the stress of Brompton ownership has tipped him over the edge.
You jest but tbh it's been absolutely fapping hectic - with the earlier starts, lack of sleep, longer days (granted mostly because of convenient city pub-access), sub-optimal bike / luggage / clothing situation, indecision burnout about how to resolve these and 20 miles on top of the working day..

With the weather as it is I do actually now look forward to the commute rather than expecting it with fear and resentment, however I think it'll be a lot nicer once I've got everything sorted.

He’s caught the disease as well!
lol - I'm not going to lie - it's such a nice, virtuous little thing that I'm affording myself a few indulgences (on top of the not inconsiderable purchase price).

Tbh given the mixed reports I'm going off the Brookes saddle somewhat (and tbh it's far from as pressing-a-matter than all the other bits I need). The thought of a Spurcycle bell is bubbling away at the back of my mind as the existing one is a bit limp and it seems like a legit application given the amount of tow path action the bike sees (and the amount of stubborn folk the softly-spoken OEM item fails to shift).

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I think I have found out why the bike was squeaking and creaking so much, I decided to strip and have a look at the suspension block and it was very loose.

I stripped it, cleaned everything and applied plenty of silicone grease to the mating surfaces, the shaft and also wiped the block in grease. Hopefully this should permanently solve it, this worked on my old Brompton, the rubber drys out and creaks.

I have also ordered a frame decal and BB protector off Ali Express for peanuts (about £8.00), which should just tidy the cosmetics up a bit.

IMG_1649.jpeg

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think I have found out why the bike was squeaking and creaking so much, I decided to strip and have a look at the suspension block and it was very loose.

I stripped it, cleaned everything and applied plenty of silicone grease to the mating surfaces, the shaft and also wiped the block in grease. Hopefully this should permanently solve it, this worked on my old Brompton, the rubber drys out and creaks.

I have also ordered a frame decal and BB protector off Ali Express for peanuts (about £8.00), which should just tidy the cosmetics up a bit.

View attachment 696963

Fitted a white one to my wife's Brommie as it is ( sort of ) white. I think they called it Ivory or Papyrus or some such. Added bonus was it was firmer than the original and improved the ride quality. I've got the bright red block fitted to one of mine.

Top Bottom