Giro d'Italia 2024 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Gotta feel for Quitana a bit, any other field of riders he would've won.

Painful for the Nairoman...

... If only he knew of something he could take to dull the pain... 😊

Mr Celine

Discordian
So they've changed tomorrows route but it's still got a very high Cima Coppi climb early on, and the final climb isn't monstrous.
. https://www.giroditalia.it/en/news/stage-16-route-change/

I'll probably end up with Pog blowing everybody away. Again.
View attachment 731548

Changed again, snowing on the Umbrail. To start at 14:00 from Spondining.
It's pishing down where we intended cycling to the finish from, think we'll just walk instead.
20240521_124816.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the remaining sprinters will be pleased they dont have to get over the Umbrail. We now have a short stage with a summit finish, which can often get very explosive. Whilst the umbrail had potential to shake the GC up a bit, it was probably too early in the stage for anyone to go bananas on it anyway

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Not able to watch it but interest lies in the minor places and the possible conflict between Thomas and Arensman.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not able to watch it but interest lies in the minor places and the possible conflict between Thomas and Arensman.

Is that a conflict, I sense Arensman / Ineos was making sure he has a chance to take White off Tiberi. Sticking with G probably wouldn't have got G up any quicker, its not like there weren't other wheels to follow

Mr Celine

Discordian
Changed again, snowing on the Umbrail. To start at 14:00 from Spondining.
It's pishing down where we intended cycling to the finish from, think we'll just walk instead.
Eventually donned our foul weather gear and sauntered up to the base of the final climb, where there was a *free* chairlift to the summit. After a leisurely coffee in a warm and dry hotel walked down to the 300m sign and watched the race from there.

Highlight was Rui Oliviera zigzagging up a 10% gradient with his rear mech stuck on the 11 tooth sprocket. :laugh:

Adam4868

Guru
Is that a conflict, I sense Arensman / Ineos was making sure he has a chance to take White off Tiberi. Sticking with G probably wouldn't have got G up any quicker, its not like there weren't other wheels to follow
If Arensman has the freedom to go for the white maybe G loses his podium spot ? Arensman has looked quality as this race as gone on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Eventually donned our foul weather gear and sauntered up to the base of the final climb, where there was a *free* chairlift to the summit. After a leisurely coffee in a warm and dry hotel walked down to the 300m sign and watched the race from there.

Highlight was Rui Oliviera zigzagging up a 10% gradient with his rear mech stuck on the 11 tooth sprocket. :laugh:

How is the weather this morning?

I bet the chairlift was pleasant in that weather, it looked like a classic Italian uncovered one!

Mr Celine

Discordian
How is the weather this morning?

I bet the chairlift was pleasant in that weather, it looked like a classic Italian uncovered one!

Good enough for a 27 mile loop over the Furkelpass, now recovering and watching the giro on TV.
20240522_132528.jpg

20240522_135456.jpg

The chairlift was better than walking and it wasn't raining hard at that point. All the other passengers were holding umbrellas. :rain:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Pog's margin over 2nd is now 7:42.

And 7:42 was exactly Eddy Merckx's winning margin in 1973. It's the 18th biggest margin in the Giro.

His next target will be the 17th biggest margin which is 8:18 (Gino Bartali, 1937)

TomDW

Chapeau Georg Steinhauser for today's stage !
Great interview after as well 😁
“fark, I had good legs today!”
Actually got a chance to watch it this afternoon,some odd tactics but a good stage.

Great win yeah. His first as a Pro !
I can't help think that putting on those awful pink helmets everyday is a motivation killer.

Pog has no competition really. Last year's TdF him & his team were expending so much energy trying to outsmart Vingegaard. In this tour they have to outsmart no one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom