GPS Navigation - What are people using?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I'm considering upgrading my Garmin Etrex Vista HCx for something a bit more modern.
I've alread got my foot in the Garmin eco system with an Instinct 2 watch - that has the fitness training covered. It's mapping where I'm falling a bit short.

I've found I can download .GPX files from Komoot and upload from them from BaseCamp to the Etrex, having imported them as a tracks and converted them to courses.

When I planned a route from my doorstep, I did this and found that the large generated labels (route points) that Basecamp had added to each track point made the route unusable (and I found no way of hiding them in the Etrex settings), so I exported the route from BaseCamp, did a global search and replace to remove the text from each route point name/comment/description and then re-imported the route.

More recently, I tried to follow someone elses route which I imported as a track, converted to a course and then uploaded to the Etrex. I'd forgotten about the labels. I couldn't find the start of the track without getting impatient and the course was unusable.

There are a couple of major advantages of using the Etrex.
1 - replaceable batteries
2 - I can use OpenStreetMap tiles

Obviously I've got some persevering to do here to make this work.
So, before I waste more time on this, I'm wondering what other people are doing?

I was thinking about the Garmin Edge Explore 2 - but I'm conscious of it being yet another device that turns into a paper weight when the battery reaches the end of its serviceable life (i.e. refuse to hold a charge or expands).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can only speak for the Garmin camp.

If you do go down the Garmin route, and you don't mind introducing a smartphone app into the mix, then syncing routes from other sources is fairly easy. You design your route in your chosen planner - Garmin Connect, cycle.travel, RideWithGPS, Komoot ...

Then there are two options to get the route to the GPS. Both fairly easy. Both can be done on the road (provided you have good phone signal) but not while the GPS is recording a ride. So if you're out and about and need to download a new route you have to stop recording first - at least, that's what I've observed. I've not seen that in any manual)

Option 1 is to first sync the ride to Garmin Connect from the planner (do this in the planner when you finish planning. In RWGPS you "pin" the route; in cycle.travel there is a send to Garmin Connect option. Probably similar in Komoot, I don't know). Then you get out your smartphone, open the garmin connect app, and sync the GPS device and provided that the phone is connected to the internet and the GPS is connected to the phone via BlueTooth then the route will be transferred. I think this also works for Komoot but I'm not a Komoot user so I don't know for certain. I know it works fine for RideWithGPS and cycle.travel

The second way is to use a "Connect IQ" app. This is a little app provided by a 3rd party (eg Ridewithgps or Komoot) that you install on the GPS itself. You open that app and you can download routes direct from the 3rd party to the GPS (again it requires the phone to act as middleman). I think Komoot has a Connect IQ app. I know it works fine for RWGPS. Not all planners have this option, eg cycle.travel doesn't.

I think all of the above works with all the modern Edge Garmins. But I can only speak from experience of the 530 and 1040. So you'd need to check whether it supports bluetooth and Connect IQ.

Regarding mapping. This used to be a major headache but with the more modern devices (again I only have experience of the ones I've owned) they have all of Europe on them. To change the installed mapping plug it to a PC, start Garmin Express and there will be options to change the mapping (typically takes many hours to download).

As to your concerns about non-replaceable batteries. Welcome to the modern world :sad: If you're out for a while you may need to take a charge tank (aka another battery) with you.

I haven't used Basecamp in absolutely years.

I've just realised I didn't answer your question. What am I doing? I design routes in the RideWithGPS planner on the PC, then I sync them to my Edge 1040 using the RWGPS Connect IQ app.

Last edited:

gom

Über Member
There are Garmin bike-specific GPS units, but I’ve no experience with these as I’ve always used one of their handheld / outdoor recreation units, such as the eTrex, as I like to use for walking as well.
Currently I’m using a GPSmap 67, which I bought with OS mapping (both 1:50K & 1:25K - only of use if you are in Britain). Quite expensive but I’m glad to say worth it. For walking I do like the OS 1:25K, and the 1:50K for cycling. The battery is NOT replaceable but does last for well over 100 hours between charges, which is loads of time. Previously I always wanted one using AA batteries, but with this amount of life between charges I’m happy to have changed.

I have also loaded free, OSM-derived mapping for use abroad and in towns.

The unit also talks well with Gamin Connect, and I mostly use that for transferring routes and tracks between it and phone or PC. You do need a phone with Connect of course.

Garmin still do versions of the eTrex, but I think the existing ones that do maps must be due for a refresh soon. Don’t have any actual facts here, but I’m hoping that they will do an updated eTrex with the same v long battery life and communications as the GPSmap 67 before too long.

13 rider

Guru
I'm use the other main player in GPS unit market Wahoo. I use a Wahoo bolt plan a route on either Strava (which I am paid subscriber ) or ride with GPS which sync directly to the head unit , never used a Garmin so can't compare .I find the Wahoo simple to use and set up via the smartphone app

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are Garmin bike-specific GPS units, but I’ve no experience with these as I’ve always used one of their handheld / outdoor recreation units, such as the eTrex, as I like to use for walking as well.
I have a Garmin Oregon (uses AAs) which I use for walking with the OS maps. I used to use it for the bike as well as for walking and as far as I can remember it wasn't difficult to sync a route. But I haven't used it for that for a few years so I've forgotten the details.

I stopped using it on the bike partly because it was a bit hard to read in bright sunlight and partly because I'm an incorrigible buyer of techy toys - especially GPSs.

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I purchased an Edge Explore 2 last September after my 15 year old Edge 605 went missing during a ride.

I'm really happy with the Edge Explore 2, really easy to use once I'd got the hang of it. I can quickly and easily sync rides across from RWGPS and it connects easily to my smart phone with Bluetooth.

Battery life wasn't great at first, but I realised there's a few issues. Like most modern gadgets it comes without a charger, just a cable and I was using the wrong charger to charge it up. Then the software wasn't giving accurate read outs of battery left, turns out it's a known issue and there's a few easy steps to reset it. Then lastly the settings on the unit were causing a bit of battery drain, so screen brightness, GPS settings etc. So after a bit of fiddling I can now get a good 13 hours or so out of a full charge.

Maps are excellent, actually more than excellent, I ride mostly off-road through heathland and forest and I was dead impressed to see one small track on there that had only been created in the last 12 months from folk avoiding a big tree fall. It will even route you to the start of your route, or find you the nearest bike shop, grocery store etc. Overall the Explore 2 does everything I need from a head unit and I'm happy with it.

So all in all, I managed fifteen years out of my last Garmin, who knows how long this one will last, but I'll be happy with 10 years, provided I don't loose it mid ride like my last one!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I use a Garmin 830. Do my route planning on Strava which automatically sends it to Garmin Connect, which the unit then automatically downloads.

Rides then automatically upload to Garmin Connect that then sends them to Strava, again automatically.

Wifi is required for sending to and from the unit. I stop the ride at the front door, by the time I've got in the house and put the bike away the ride is normally already on Strava for me to look at.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another edge explore user ,I have the mk 1 and can do 100 km/ 62 miles using the navigation and cadence sensor and generally have about ,60 % battery left. If I have opportunity I will go for the mk 2 as it's supposed to be a bigger battery

EckyH

Here a Garmin Edge 800 works quite well, despite or because of it's age.
Map updates come from https://garmin.bbbike.org/, routes come from https://brouter.de/brouter-web/

My main reason for using that old thing is that it's features (saving the activities, using imported routes) are sufficient for me at the moment, I can access it's filesystem from my Linux system and last but not least: there is no dubious app on a mobile phone involved.

Didn't check the battery life exactly yet, but it's still in the 7h range. Perhaps I'll replace the battery one day.

E.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
eTrex 30x, which replaced Edge 705s (I had three of those). Excellent, apart from its total inability to do turn-by-turn navigation. On the 705, simple: load a track & it'll beep when a turn comes up, show the turn, then go back to whatever screen you were on before. The eTrex insists on using routes, and because those files only contain the turns, it'll insist on coming up with all the bits between them, not the roads you intended to ride. You can't load a route and then ride to the start because it'll try and route you to the end from wherever you are. Workarounds for this stupidity are awkward, and I've had mixed results trying to find one that does the job for me. Apart from that: great. Pretty much bombproof reliability, excellent screen, terrific battery life.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Here a Garmin Edge 800 works quite well, despite or because of it's age.
Map updates come from https://garmin.bbbike.org/, routes come from https://brouter.de/brouter-web/

My main reason for using that old thing is that it's features (saving the activities, using imported routes) are sufficient for me at the moment, I can access it's filesystem from my Linux system and last but not least: there is no dubious app on a mobile phone involved.

Didn't check the battery life exactly yet, but it's still in the 7h range. Perhaps I'll replace the battery one day.

E.

i loved my 800, only really upgraded as im getting older and need reading glasses so went for a larger screen so i could see it on the move.battery on the 800 is easy to change as you dont need to do any soldering for the speaker as its all clip in stuff once you get into the case .

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I use Wahoo Roam. Has been excellent through current long tour, I use cycle.travel to plan then upload a gpx track.

Battery life seems about 24 hrs, have never got below 50%.

Not sure why removable batteries are seen as an advantage, I'd much rather have built in Li rechargeable. Take a power pack if you're away from a socket for more than a day

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not sure why removable batteries are seen as an advantage, I'd much rather have built in Li rechargeable. Take a power pack if you're away from a socket for more than a day
Basically because they limit the life of device. I've got an AA powered Garmin GPSMap 60 that must be coming on for 20 years old and it's still just as good as it ever was and in occasional use.

Once built in battery of one of the Edge devices dies that's it unless you are some kind of electronics whizz with a soldering iron, and even then you're risking buggering it up when opening the case.

It's not a massive advantage, or a deal breaker for me. Before the battery dies a new toy with fancy features will probably have caught my acquisitive eye. But it is annoying.

Top Bottom