Possible auroras tonight.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Great pictures!

Damn, I wish I’d seen this before I went to bed! There seems some speculation that they might be visible again tonight…

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Seen for the first time in south east Suffolk - couldn't see much with the naked eye except a slight red and green tint to the night sky, but showed up much better on the phone's (poor) camera in night vision mode
IMG_20240510_234439077.jpg

IMG_20240510_233604529.jpg

IMG_20240510_233950003.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Likely again tonight according to the TV pundits.

don't be disappointed if they're wrong.

They said the same the last time it was strong in the UK and despite nothing showing on the actual forecasts for the following night, they kept saying go out again tonight! on the news.

but saying that, this is a rather large storm.
the last 24hrs on this https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast is quite staggering

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Likely again tonight according to the TV pundits.

It looks like there is a good chance. The website linked in my first post says the storm has reduced in strength but is still ongoing and more of the coronal mass ejections are expected to arrive over the next 24-48 hours which will add more energy to it again.

They also mention that there was another strong solar flare in the early hours this morning. Whether that has sent a CME in our direction isn't confirmed just yet but if it has there could be more to see in a couple of days time.

Top Bottom