Steamers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Is it ok to add this here as it does not fit anywhere else?
D5E2F753-CE0F-4EF6-B1B7-F9FEC88C50F2.jpeg

D5E2F753-CE0F-4EF6-B1B7-F9FEC88C50F2.jpeg

ozboz

Guru
I’ve never actually seen one of these , I know they used to use them to haul heavy loads from factories in Manchester , but I’ve only seen photos ,

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I’ve never actually seen one of these , I know they used to use them to haul heavy loads from factories in Manchester , but I’ve only seen photos ,
I remember seeing steam powered lorries during the war from the railway station in Perth.
Cycling on Shetland at the time of this photo I saw a column of smoke in the distance and assumed somebody was having a bonfire. When I got nearer it was a lorry which had stopped to restoke the fire and refill the water tank. This was about 10 miles at least from Lerwick where it had obviously started.
There were a lot of vintage cars also around but I cannot seem to access the pictures of those.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The Sentinel DG6 in the first picture was made in my home town and some of the the factory is still there having been through a few different owners since (Rolls Royce, Perkins, and currently Caterpillar and Doncasters)

There is usually a good gathering of Sentinels at the County of Salop steam rally each August. A few snaps from last year's event:

Some of the Sentinel lineup at the show.

Talisman, a brand new Fowler B6 traction engine. I think this was its first event.

Steam works in cars too. These are Stanleys from the USA.

Just checking on whether his lunch is cooked (no, really).

A bit of driving action going on in the main ring.

Very rare Sentinel DG8 (less than 10 were ever made).

Sentinel S4 followed by a DG4

gavgav

Guru
The Sentinel DG6 in the first picture was made in my home town and some of the the factory is still there having been through a few different owners since (Rolls Royce, Perkins, and currently Caterpillar and Doncasters)

There is usually a good gathering of Sentinels at the County of Salop steam rally each August. A few snaps from last year's event:
View attachment 528095
Some of the Sentinel lineup at the show.

View attachment 528096
Talisman, a brand new Fowler B6 traction engine. I think this was its first event.

View attachment 528097
View attachment 528098
Steam works in cars too. These are Stanleys from the USA.

View attachment 528099
Just checking on whether his lunch is cooked (no, really).

View attachment 528100
A bit of driving action going on in the main ring.

View attachment 528101
Very rare Sentinel DG8 (less than 10 were ever made).

View attachment 528102
Sentinel S4 followed by a DG4
In wonder if it will be allowed to take place this year, probably very unlikely 😞

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
In wonder if it will be allowed to take place this year, probably very unlikely 😞
They have already taken the decision to cancel and are concentrating on the 2021 event which will be the Diamond Anniversary rally.

Nice pics @Rickshaw Phil . I can almost feel the ghost of Fred Dibnah watching over.
Funny you should say that:

His roller at the 2012 rally.

Top Bottom