Swiss Army Knifeless..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
One side effect it had on scuba divers. I had a large sharp knife strapped to my leg as indeed did all of us. If you got caught on say a rope underwater it could be a lifesaver. The police eventually allowed us to have knives but we were not allowed to wear them until a moment before we entered to water. Not very handy and if boat diving ignored anyway.

Yeah, it's an interesting; often-exploited grey area. As I'm sure you're aware you're legally allowed to carry fixed-blade / locking knives above 3" in blade length with good reason - however in your case they've obviously chosen to push that as far as they can in insisting you can't have them on you until the last minute.

Obviously ironic that, in over-reaching in the application of legislation that's intended to protect life, that they inadvertantly endanger it instead.

It'd be nice if our overlords sought to address the socio-economic reasons that drive violence and knife-crime, rather than attempting to restrict the means by which it's perpetrated... although of course they're never going to do this since it runs counter to their own agenda and is arguably the direct result of the division and dissatisfaction they intentionally sow to maintain control.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Never seen a pruning knife in their range before. (The middle one for those who do not know.) My father was a professional gardener and got them as gifts from seed merchants and I still have one of them.

It's not a pruning knife, but a mushroom knife the brush on the other end is for brushing the spores off

a.twiddler

Veteran
I suspect that a minority of people have always had a tendency to stab each other. Urban gang culture is nothing new. I remember the banning of "flick knives" in the Teddy Boy era, maybe a reaction by the government of the day to media publicity, "something (anything) must be done", or seen to be done, to give the illusion that the government of the day is in control of events, rather than the other way round. Probably the fact that almost every schoolboy at the time had a penknife, and probably most adults too, went over people's heads as they went about their daily business, not-stabbing each other. Probably more people had a practical use for something like that then, as people used to fix things rather than being a bit helpless when confronted with things today that don't work.

It might be argued that a spring loaded knife which opened at the touch of a button could more likely be seen as a concealed weapon than the average folding knife (and maybe more likely to cause injuries to the user if not carefully handled) and might also be seen as a symbol of status by certain groups but it's a sort of removal of choice. It turns on its head the argument that you used to need a reason not to be allowed to carry a knife, eg you were a known scrote, probably up to no good, rather than have to justify a reason to have one, which suggests that today we are all scrotes, up to no good, unless proved otherwise.

Not that I have aspirations to be a latter day Crocodile Dundee who when confronted by someone with a knife produces an even bigger one, saying, "Call that a knoife? THIS is a knoife, mate!" No, I just want to be left in peace to have in my pocket my trusty Swiss Army Knife ready for use if I need to trim a cracked nail, pluck a stray eyebrow hair, tighten a loose screw, yes, even slice open an envelope with a blade without risking being shot by a SWAT team, or being instructed to put that tweezer down SLOWLY and put your hands on your head. Am I asking too much?

After all, the death toll from, for example, motor vehicles both by direct contact and from the outflow from exhausts is massive by comparison with knife crime but somehow it is tolerated. A life lost no matter by what means is still a precious thing to the owner and their family but there needs to be some sense of proportion.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So long as you still get the thing to remove stones from horses' hooves. I've lost count of how many times that has come in useful!

Joking aside (as you probably know) but it's really a reamer for drilling or enlarging holes. I've used it (for example) for adding an extra hole in a trouser belt (granted this was a good few years ago 😉) and for drilling a hole in a hammer handle so I could add a lanyard for working at height

My ex-Mrs had a horse, and I learned the "official" tool for removing stones from his hooves was a mid-sized screwdriver with a blade bent 90 degrees in a vice

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Joking aside (as you probably know) but it's really a reamer for drilling or enlarging holes. I've used it (for example) for adding an extra hole in a trouser belt (granted this was a good few years ago 😉) and for drilling a hole in a hammer handle so I could add a lanyard for working at height

My ex-Mrs had a horse, and I learned the "official" tool for removing stones from his hooves was a mid-sized screwdriver with a blade bent 90 degrees in a vice

Correct term I believe is an "awl" - a reamer is a much more precise tool for finishing holes to precise dimension and finish.

It would also make a good push-dagger if they'd just had the sense to make it a bit longer!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Correct term I believe is an "awl" - a reamer is a much more precise tool for finishing holes to precise dimension and finish.

It would also make a good push-dagger if they'd just had the sense to make it a bit longer!

You can have tapered reamers for enlarging a hole to some arbitrary size, which the SAK spike will do too. That said, "awl" is perhaps the better term

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Correct term I believe is an "awl"

Cobblers!

figbat

Slippery scientist
So long as you still get the thing to remove stones from horses' hooves. I've lost count of how many times that has come in useful!

I don't think I have ever seen a SAK with a hoof pick tool. I just looked it up and they do an Equestrian variant, which includes it but I've never seen one.

1587118447-44016500.jpg

Some of the SAK awls have a hole for creating stiches using leather or some other bushcrafty cordage. Some don't.
As push daggers go, the awl has a very sharp edge, guaranteeing the blood will flow in a stabby fight, but whose blood is the question. Perhaps it was inspired by the Ghurka kukri.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
The Swiss Army Knife has been available for a lot longer than most people think.

B9970FCF-B822-4020-B253-A5F74CD50897.jpeg

Top Bottom