What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EckyH

It's got a stuck driveside bottom bearing cup. This was the failure; neither use of a vice, nor a special cup removal tool - plus strong man (not me!) - could get it shifted. So it's staying stuck. Still not sure what I'm doing this anyway.
Did you consider to saw slits in the cup with a hacksaw so that it can be taken off fragment for fragment?

E.

Gillstay

Über Member
Found the shaft had seized on the derailleur so took it apart and sorted it.
IMG_20240517_153841437_HDR.jpg

Gillstay

Über Member
My son has a back wheel with a Shimano WH RS100 hub and the freehub is knackered, but i can see no numbers on it.

Any one know what choice of free hub I could buy for it ? All rather confusing. He has a Tiagra 10 speed cassette set up.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My son has a back wheel with a Shimano WH RS100 hub and the freehub is knackered, but i can see no numbers on it.
Any one know what choice of free hub I could buy for it ? All rather confusing. He has a Tiagra 10 speed cassette set up.
Pretty sure this 'just' takes a Shimano 8/9/10 freehub (10mm allen key - I assume you've needed to take off). yhpm
Maybe this: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/shimano-tiagra-fh4500-cassette-freehub-body-y3cr98070/

EckyH

The axle bearings have killed themselves.
On the plus side: you convicted the culprit.

Years ago I had a similar experience, but with a bottom bracket. Suddenly pushing the pedals became hard. After backpedalling half a turn it was good for a few turns and then it was nearly stuck again. The balls in the bearing abraded the metal where they touched the edges of the cage. Finally the metal was so thin that the friction between the balls and the cage was enough to got the cage between the balls and the shell of the bottom bracket.

E.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have switched over to 32C tyres for my Devon bike. I had been running them at 4.5 bar F and 5.0 bar R for comfort but have now gone up to 5.2 bar F and 5.5 bar R for a bit more protection.
I brought the original 28C tyres from that bike back to Yorkshire yesterday and have now put them on my CAAD5 - the widest tyres that I have ever put on that bike.

The CAAD5 started on 23C, then I switched to 25C. The bike could perhaps take 30C tyres but those would be a very close fit. I will stick with these.

I will go for a test ride on the next sunny day up here. I am trying out 5.7 bar F and 6.2 bar R but may drop to 5.5 F/6.0 R if those pressures feel a bit harsh on our rough local roads.

Top Bottom