Why Do you support bike companies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macmanpapi

i ask this in all seriousness, I had a Fuji that was stolen, and I spent like $2800 u.s. loved the gravel bike and it was aluminum (did the carbon thing) So now I am building my own and at 46 I've ridden expensive and the dept store we all grew up on. So for this aluminum gravel bike. Total cost $781.00us with 60mm air fork 12speed hydraulic brakes ceramic bottom bracket 46-30 up front and 11-46 in the back I've looked and aside from an 8speed Walmart bike there is nothing like this being sold but we can build ANY KIND so why do we choose to support them please tell me your thoughts, yes this did cost me 2 months to price hunt parts and many prior bike builds, but a child can do this, I've seen many. Here is a photo of the frame to start and that price did include WHEELS LOL

Attachments

• bettie.png
    bettie.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 15

brommieinkorea

Maybe you mean bike shops? I too can perform any repair on a bike, and I have most of the proper tools. But there are lots of people who have no experience with mechanical things, nor any kind of background in such things. Another reason that bike shops are essential is parts availability, some things just can't be bought online retail. Sometimes my need to do all of my own maintenance boils down to geography and there are times when I would just as soon pay someone else to do something because I don't have the time.

brommieinkorea

I haven't purchased from Giant in over 20 years. But the frames you post pictures of were made by "bike companies". The big difference here is you cut out any chance of someone living and working in the first world getting anything out of your purchase (except maybe Fedex/UPS). My last acquisition came from a bike company that employs people in London, and I think if I needed another ridged bike , Pashley might enter the stable (Pashley is a bike company).

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I wanted a bike with a Belt Drive. I don't think you buy a frame off the shelf with a 'belt splitter' in the rear triangle. So I bought a Trek. At least the frame came with a life time warranty.

I wanted a bike made of Titanium. I did build one up back in the day from a frameset and that took me months, sourcing all the bits. Also, I was knowledgeable back then. With advances such as disk brakes, I've not really kept up. I also wanted to support a UK based company (I live in the UK) so I bought a Ribble.

The other two bikes I have, I bought second hand. I wasn't really fussed who made them. I do tend to buy a lot of things second hand - to reduce the environmental impact.

OP
OP
macmanpapi

macmanpapi

I wanted a bike with a Belt Drive. I don't think you buy a frame off the shelf with a 'belt splitter' in the rear triangle. So I bought a Trek. At least the frame came with a life time warranty.

I wanted a bike made of Titanium. I did build one up back in the day from a frameset and that took me months, sourcing all the bits. Also, I was knowledgeable back then. With advances such as disk brakes, I've not really kept up. I also wanted to support a UK based company (I live in the UK) so I bought a Ribble.

The other two bikes I have, I bought second hand. I wasn't really fussed who made them. I do tend to buy a lot of things second hand - to reduce the environmental impact.

thank you sir

OP
OP
macmanpapi

macmanpapi

I haven't purchased from Giant in over 20 years. But the frames you post pictures of were made by "bike companies". The big difference here is you cut out any chance of someone living and working in the first world getting anything out of your purchase (except maybe Fedex/UPS). My last acquisition came from a bike company that employs people in London, and I think if I needed another ridged bike , Pashley might enter the stable (Pashley is a bike company).

thank you, that's the part I felt bad about, I'm not influencing my own economy, I did like Rene herse and they had frame-building stuff too. , Its just all so expensive at this point, I feel bad until I get a new roof on my house with what I saved

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have no interest in building a bike and much prefer buying one ready-to-go.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I know a bit of bike mechanics, no doubt I could learn a lot more.
But with a full time job and other commitments, I'll rather spend my free time growing veg than building bikes.
The bikes I have need to be in working order because I don't have a car: better leave the mechanics to the mechanic :laugh:

What is your hourly rate for sourcing and building your bike? Your bought bike is $2000 more. 2 months is 8 weeks to build. Is that not worth a big chunk of this 2k. For me it would be all of it and then some.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I can’t be bothered to answer the original poster’s pointless and barely literate question. If that’s what it is, where is the question mark?

PedallingNowhereSlowly

This isn't a grammar, spelling or English language forum.

A relatively new forum member, who does not yet have a their Linguistics and English Language PhD, shared their experience and asked about other peoples experience. You decided it wasn't for you, but rather than ignore it, you post a 'smart' half-hostile response. And then double down on it.

What is the matter with you? Do you want a welcoming forum where people learn and grow or do you want a clique?

Personally, I'm saddened that someone stole the OPs last bike and happy that they found a way back from that which they could afford.

Last edited:
Top Bottom