Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I had my first proper sea swim of the year this morning, it was Ffffffreezing!

As an afternoon treat I cycled up the Puffing Billy track.

Sheep lambs cows calves skylark meadow pipits and buzzards… but no commas.

Once at Redlake I lay on a concrete pad from an old disused mine building, snoozing in the warm sun. Then some stupid bloody teenager climbed to the top of the volcano, music playing on his phone, peace shattered.

On the way back to the van I broke a spoke in my rear wheel.

16 sunny miles.

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1779.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1786.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1788.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My last holiday ride. Nipped out this morning for a 22.7 miler towards Annan, but stopped short when I discovered a nice little seaside village called Powfoot. Great views across the Solway Firth towards the English lake District, but all into the sun so no photos. A short but very enjoyable and quite sociable ride this morning. In Powfoot I had a nice long conversation, half in English, half in French with a friendly Belgian couple who had camped overnight on the beach in their campervan. Then on the way back a fellow cyclist slowed to chat a while as we rode along. He was from a local cycling club in Ecclefechan that go by the great name of 'Fechan Flyers. A few photos:
164..JPG

165.Ruthwell.JPG

166..JPG

168.Solway Firth at powfoot.JPG

169..JPG

171.End of 150 miles of cycling in Scotland.JPG

I've actually caught a bit of a tan this last week and a bit. Glorious weather throughout Scotland. And here is the final old school map of my Dumfries & Galloway rides ... pretty much the whole section of the Solway Firth from Annan to Dumfries:
170.Two Solway Firth rides, sixty miles..JPG

That's 59.9 miles of Dumfries & Galloway to add to my 90.0 miles of Moray. A great holiday. Lots of empty roads and great scenery.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With a good forecast for today, I planned to get Doug out for a ride. A pub stop was enough temptation to get him out so we aimed to cycle to Church Stretton again. The weather was fabulous; warm, sunny and not a cloud to be seen. We set off with a tailwind so made good progress through Condover, Ryton and Longnor. Apart from a bit of a wait to get out onto the A49 at the start, the roads were fairly quiet. There were very few cyclists initially then after overtaking a couple en route to Hollyhurst we started to see riders coming the other way with event numbers on their bikes (I haven't looked up what event it was just yet). The pothole I reported still doesn't have anything to indicate it's going to be repaired any time soon. A couple of riders overtook and the second of them commented on the nice day then said "I've got a chest infection. Shouldn't have come out today, I'm struggling". Somehow I didn't feel like riding too close after that. :whistle:

After our second crossing of the A49 it was a good run into Church Stretton where we found tables available at The Hollybush cafe. Our timing was good as by the time Doug had placed our order and settled down there were other groups of cyclists and walkers turning up. We enjoyed our brunch then retraced our steps into a headwind. With that and the legs taking a little while to get going again I inadvertently left Doug behind a bit going through All Stretton. It didn't help that he was having some issues with his gears so we stopped in a gateway at Dudgeley and I fixed it for him. The following motorist gave us a very hard stare when we pulled in here - don't know what that was about.:unsure:

Our next stop was at The Pound where a pint was sampled. Butty Bach for me, Henry Weston's cider for Doug. It was really great sat out here and quite tempting to stay there longer. We didn't though and got back on the road, soon swinging back into that headwind. The wind wasn't too strong really and the pace was fairly decent in spite of it. Although I suggested an alternative route back, Doug was fairly keen to retrace our steps - he was after a good average speed and knows that this stretch of road is a bit more flowing than the way I'd mentioned.

It was a nice run back to Ryton. We joined the road to Condover just ahead of another rider on a lighter bike and were going quick enough that they waited quite a while before overtaking. We got gestures from the passenger of a passing Polo - don't know what their problem was and a Range Rover gave very little room overtaking when we got back on the A49 but apart from that it was a decent finish to the ride.

The Raleigh went well on the refitted Voyager Hyper tyres, I hope I can get lots of miles out of them before I need to think about changing again. They fit better under the new mudguards too - the reason I took them off this bike in the first place was tight clearance under the rear guard.

25.3 miles at 13.9 mph average. Not the 14 mph average Doug was hoping for, but close.

20240519_101505.jpg

Our usual first stop near Ryton.

20240519_101514.jpg

A lovely view to the hills this morning.

20240519_105937.jpg

We've got to The Hollybush before the rush.

20240519_114621.jpg

20240519_114631.jpg

A couple from the adjustment stop at Dudgeley.

20240519_120143.jpg

Pints at The Pound.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well I suppose it depends on what you did….! It’s a stunning part of the country with lots of contrasts. We tend to choose our days and avoid the centre during the summer.

Well, I did snap off the mooring cleat at Lakeside.:shy: Hopefully that is offset by the occasion when I realised the wine delivered for an event was completely different from what the customers had ordered and knew where there was enough of the right sort to get it on to the ship in time.^_^

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Bit of a slack week on the commute on account of having to drive to a client on Tuesday.

Yesterday a 3-ish mile egg ride on the Brompton spiralled out of control into a 20-odd mile mini-epic. This brought several firsts including longest single ride on the little toff-o-skate, as well a new top speed record of 36mph down a fat local hill... which was mildly terrifying; especially trying to scrub off speed and signal for a junction with a fast approaching car behind.

Not the cleverest ride I've done as I strayed away from home without the usual safety nets of pump, spare tubes etc. Didn't go too far but it would still have meant a ballache of a walk had owt gone wrong - which thankfully it didn't :smile:

Today saw more glorious sun and the usual shopping trip on the Fuji; some mild bellends in cars encountered, but most folk were sound; especially the family who stopped to hold a gate open for me. As usual it seems the sun definitely brings out the best in people.

About 85 miles this week; better than last but not as good as the best in recent times. Happy with that however as I've currently got a lot on so it's good to get out at all...

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday, 1.14 according to the Garmin, and out on the roadbike heading, unusually for me, into the wind for the outbound ride. A quick surprise was a road closed until 6pm had reopened. I had expected to have to join the cycle path at this junction. The poorly sited cycle direction sign applies to the cycle path on the shared pavement not the road.
JD open.jpg

Given the NNE wind climbing the east facing Humps and a hill in the heat of the day was not an attractive proposition and I did subsequently join the cycle route with its steep but shorter climbs hidden in the trees ahead.
Luchon.jpg

Onto Knaresborough, and on the decent of the A59 their was a sudden clatter and I halted outside Mother Shiptons but nothing amiss.
Kboro MS.jpg

North to Farnham with the lane of that name looking like a cycle highway, The two in front were somewhat slow on the level and descents but quicker than me on the climbs
Farnham Lane.jpg

On towards Staveley I decided there was enough of a decent and level section to overtake without them overtaking me on a climb although judging by the Varias alerts that might have been a close thing. Through Minskip and Boroughbridge
Bbge.jpg

Stopped at the riverside park for a snack, suppose it has ecological benefits but the lack of a view of the river is unfortunate. Decision time given the wind, via Cundall and Asenby to Topcliffe or the A168 and Rainton. Decided on the latter as the A168 would have greater opportunity to adopt a drops position. What I had overlooked was the extra climbing involved, fundamentally through Kirby Hill (um, clue in the name maybe…)
K Hill.jpg

A windsock between the A168 and A1(M) seemed to be pointing to Harrogate.
windsock.jpg

Paused at Rainton for a further snack and then to Topcliffe and the A167 north. This was more tedious than the A168 with little to guide on how was left battling the cross head wind.
A167.jpg

Eventually reached the A61 and turned east towards Thirsk and soon the first objective of the ride - a V pubname.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/abc-of-pubs-and-cafes-2024.295234/page-13#post-7201084
Ride then reversed but continuing on the A61 over the A1(M) and onto Ripon for the W pubname.
Then direct to Bishop Monkton, with the wind assist pushing to two PRs, for the final snack and then the climb of Moor Road to rejoin the A61 and the reverse of last Saturdays outward ride. 50.82 miles 1939ft climbed 13.3mph avg
190524.jpg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A lovely day for a ride.

The Fragrant MrsP needed something from Abingdon again, so I thought I’d take the Brompton this time, I haven’t ridden it for a couple of weeks.

Followed the mostly traffic free route from the village, via Didcot, Sutton Courtney, when I got to the edge of Abingdon I detoured down a road to the river to explore, I’ve never been there before, I didn’t go anywhere except to the marina, and to a green space, I thought there might have been a path along side the river.
Once in town I went to the bank, then to the store to collect the item I was sent to collect.

More or less the same route back, save a few diversions.

Stopped for some photos today.
IMG_5294.jpeg

IMG_5295.jpeg

IMG_5296.jpeg

IMG_5297.jpeg

IMG_5299.jpeg

IMG_5300.jpeg

IMG_5301.jpeg

This is Brompton bike hire hub.
IMG_5302.jpeg

About 22.5 miles.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A mid-afternoon chance for a ride was taken and I took the Raleigh out for a blast on a very lazily selected route. I thought that the clockwise version of my longer Acton Burnell route would fit in with the wind direction, although it was quite light so I'm not sure it made a great deal of difference.

The bike went well and I felt enthused to press on wherever possible. Not too much traffic on the A49 on the way out but a stream of vehicles overtook on the way to Condover. Lyons Lane was mostly quiet as was the lane past Berrington Hall. I used the A458 which was alright. It was nice to have a clear run to Cound Stank and I just met the one car on the lane to Cound, although it would have to be at the narrowest point.

Flag of the day was a yellow one with a smiley face on. I had one of the residents stop me on the way up to Harnage to ask if there was a funeral taking place at the church - she was about to mow the lawn but didn't want to cause any disturbance. I said I hadn't seen any activity down there and it wasn't until afterwards that it occurred to me about the flag not being particularly appropriate if there had been a funeral.:ohmy:
During the climb here, the sun broke through what had been an overcast day and it warmed up quickly so I was able to take off the fleece I'd had on from the start.

The long straight to Cound Moor was marred a bit by having to pull in for some vehicles to pass. After Acton Burnell I fairly flew up the long gentle climb to Frodesley and enjoyed the descent the other side. Longnor to Ryton was good and I made the most of the dash through Condover and back to the A49, which again was fairly quiet. If only it could always be like that.

23.5 miles at 16.2 mph average. Strava says 1012 feet of climbing. Great to get out and it was one of those rides that left me with a buzz afterwards.^_^

Just the one snap today, taken a little way after Harnage:
20240520_151836.jpg

Top Bottom