£1000 to spend in lbs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jake2.0

I was lucky enough to win a raffle for £1000 credit in my lbs, my only problem is what bike to get. My lbs stocks spesh, and giant i've done a fair amount of research but i'm struggling to pick one. I'm toying with the specialized secteur apex elite (softer ride , a1 frame but has 10 speed sram apex). then there's the allez elite (18 speed tiagra, sportier ride and the e5 frame), then there's the giant offerings of the defy 1 (18 spd tiagra groupset nice frame i think) and the tcr2 which again has tiagra but does have a better frame so would be better for future upgrades.

So my major problem is do i go for a sportier bike like tcr or allez or the more comftable rides of the secteur and the defy?
At what point mileage wise does the sportier bikes become uncomfortable? If i get into racing will the more relaxed bikes hold me back?
Btw this is a 1 time purchase don't think i'll ever have the disosable income to switch at a later date. But upgrading slowly maybe an option as long as wife dosen't notice. :smile:
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sambu

what about the defy advanced?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Lucky you! Welcome to the forum.

I'd always suggest a better frame is the best way to choose if you plan on having this bike for a long while- out of your choices, my personal preference is the Allex Elite- rode one and it was nice and nippy but a tad too stretched out for me. The best thing if you haven't done it already is to try the ones you've shortlisted and see what's the most comfortable ride as that for me should always trump anything- the thing that will affect you racing (depends on if you're planning on track or road or TTs) is comfort for the distance, aerodynamics are only really a consideration later down the game-there is plenty to do to you not the bike to make better gains in the racing, ie power, strength, stamina and technique- so basically in answer to your question; don't worry about a frame holding you back - at entry levels the differences are no big deal- get something you enjoy riding and can use more and then if you find you want something different - you can always sell up and upgrade.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
If you're looking for a bike to upgrade in the future get the best frame you can. Wheels are usually the first thing you'll want to change before you get around to groupsets, they're generally all pretty good at £1000 level. Try the bikes first if you can, see which one you like.

Oh yeah and you're a lucky swine! :smile:

OP
OP
J

Jake2.0

Thanks for swift replies will hopefully be testing a tcr2, an allez elite and the secteur elite.
So just to clarify you could race on a secteur? and the softer ride wouldn't be as detrimental as the extra stone or two that i'm carrying :rolleyes:

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I am insanely jealous & therefore refuse to help.

[sub](not that I could anyway; I know sod all about bikes! :biggrin: )[/sub]

leeman

Thanks for swift replies will hopefully be testing a tcr2, an allez elite and the secteur elite.
So just to clarify you could race on a secteur? and the softer ride wouldn't be as detrimental as the extra stone or two that i'm carrying :rolleyes:

wondering how your test rides went, my new tcr 2 arrives soon, not tested it, so any feed back . . . . which did you choose?

oliglynn

Über Member
I find my allez very nimble yet comfortable
biggrin.gif

e-rider

crappy member
comfort on long rides very much depends on the rider and their fitness, flexibility and core strength BUT as a general rule, something like the sectuer would be useful on 65+ miles rides for most people. Of course, some people would be uncomfortable on a 'sporty' bike from the outset!

Certainly, something like the sectuer wouldn't be that great for racing but it would depend what sort of racing and how serious you are.

Generally, I prefer Spesh over Giant but I've seen good and bad from both companies!

Top Bottom