£1000 to upgrade my Tarmac Comp...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
How would you spend (upto) £1000 on upgrading a Spesh Tarmac Comp ?

Here's the current specs :

Frame: Specialized FACT 8r carbon, FACT IS construction,1 1/2" lower HS bearing, threaded BB
Fork: Specialized FACT carbon full monocoque, OS race for 1 1/2" bearing
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Shifters: Shimano 105 STI
Chainset: Shimano 105 53 x 39T
Cassette: Shimano 105, 10-speed, 11-28
Pedals: Speedplay Zero Stainless
Brakes: Shimano 105
Handlebars: Specialized Ergo 2014 alloy
Stem: Specialized Comp-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-position adjustable
Wheels: Fulcrum Racing 6 (5 hubs, 7 rims)
Tyres: Michelin Krylion Carbon
Seatpost: Specialized Pro, FACT carbon with Zertz insert
Seat Binder: Forged alloy, 32.6mm
Weight: Approx. 19.06lbs :ohmy: (8.65kg) for the 58cm size (according to Evans website)

I would like to try and lose at least a couple of pounds for £1000...

The obvious place to start is with the wheels and tyres.
The 105 chainset is also quite heavy and I would prefer a compact for climbing the Purbecks so what are my options with replacing this with something lighter ?

Not sure I'd gain (lose) much by changing the bars / stem / seatpost ?

Any thoughts ?

If it makes any difference I am 185lbs although aiming to get this down to 175 by spring.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
How would you spend (upto) £1000 on upgrading a Spesh Tarmac Comp ?

Weight: Approx. 19.06lbs :ohmy: (8.65kg) for the 58cm size (according to Evans website)

I would like to try and lose at least a couple of pounds for £1000...

The obvious place to start is with the wheels and tyres.
The 105 chainset is also quite heavy and I would prefer a compact for climbing the Purbecks so what are my options with replacing this with something lighter ?

Not sure I'd gain (lose) much by changing the bars / stem / seatpost ?

Any thoughts ?

Sorry to say, you won't knock off that much weight for that little, at least not on wheels and tyres. The F6s are probably in the region of 1800g (F5s are about 1750g). The law of diminishing returns kicks in a big way with wheels. You could knock off nearly all your target with a set of Tune Schwarzbrenner 25s (1049g). But they're about £1750... Fulcrum Racing Zeros are about 1435g, about £800-900 generally...Groupsets are a still better way to spend even more and save even less as you do (Edit: as Monkspeed has pointed out, you can drop a kilo, more than your target, by going for full SRAM Red, but you'd have nothing left for anything else). And wheels are rotating weight, so more advantage losing it there.
I'd suggest something along the lines of Campag Zondas/Fulcrum 3s (under 1600g, £330 or so) or equivalent from Mavic etc, you're probably on the right rubber already (pretty quick and pretty tough, if they ain't broke don't fix it). Look at bars, stem and seat post next, and if you have anything left look to the group.

amaferanga

Veteran
Probably make more sense to sell the bike and put your £1000 towards a new bike.

But you could get yourself some ~1400g wheels for a few hundred quid if you go for some Chinese clinchers or tubs. You get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of weight if you avoid the big manufacturers like Mavic and Fulcrum. £800 plus for some Fulcrum wheels that weigh almost 1500g is just crazy.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Full SRAM red set?
True it is probably very cost effective in terms of g/£, but not so effective in terms of performance/£ because the OP has heavy wheels and the heaviest possible Fulcrum road rims to boot.

Racing Zero, e.g., is £663 at Ribbles right now, dropping perhaps 400g where it matters most (and must check/pick tubes since they cost peanuts). This table might help pick some components, but I agree with StuAff's original post that it will not be easy to do it for £1k (by doing the right things, and without resorting to drillium :eek: components etc. ).

OP
OP
amnesia

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I can't afford a new bike until the end of next season, so any changes I make should ideally be transferable.

105 -> RED would be >700g saved :smile:

Shimano CL-24s are under 1400g AFAIK and are available for ~ £500 now I think. Might be worth a punt, they seem to get good reviews.

Top Bottom