£500-650 Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rothair

I am looking for a road bike in that price bracket. Already got a commuting bike but want to take to the roads and have a budget of £500-650. Tall bloke at 6ft 4in so needs to be a big frame.

Has anyone got any recommendations as I am quite confused as to what I should be looking for.

many thanks

Young Un

Worth looking at this: http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_GB/Bikes.Detail.194 Retail of 650, full shimano sora groupset, carbon fork. Merida is a name you have most likely not heard before, but they are one of the three top frame builders in the far east, and make all the bikes for specialized etc. Their knowledge of making frames means that the frames are of a very good quality, yet remain at a reasonably low price. The frames have features and qualities that make's this bike a good contender and worth looking at. Sounds like a sales pitch and it is, not becuase I work for merida, but because I work in a shop that sells merida, and they are bullet proof bikes that hardly ever come back for service work etc, and they make every cutomer happy.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Garz

Squat Member
I wouldn't ignore the boardman as it's in your upper range (comp) for £650. Only negative is sizing and getting a test ride out of them probably wont happen.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you're not in the peak of fitness, have dodgy knees or live in a hilly area, it might be worth considering a triple or at least a compact.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Garz said:
I wouldn't ignore the boardman as it's in your upper range (comp) for £650. Only negative is sizing and getting a test ride out of them probably wont happen.

I managed to test ride a Boardman Comp at the Colchester branch of Halfords - it was a 5 minute spin around the car park with the Halfords guy watching, but enough to get an idea of it. They even order me a Small size to try out. I bought a Boardman Team in the end.

Seriously look at the Boardman - its great for the money and it rides very nicely. Its quite race oriented though, the top top is a bit longer then some other bikes in the price race, and the gearing is quite high.

If its your first road bike, you might want something with a Compact or a Triple chainset. Test ride loads of bikes and get a feel for them.

SteveG

I'd have to recommend the boardman Comp or Team, I just went out this weekend and completed a 70 mile trip on my 09 Comp and it was fab ride, over up and down hills and the bike behaved impecably.

I'm 6ft 1 and find this bike in large perfectly sized, so I suspect the XL would be a great fit for you.

I managed a test ride of a bike in Halfords car park near Portsmouth, again the guy came out and watched but it was good to get a feel for it.

Good luck.

Garz

Squat Member
B-B-BikeyStrike! said:
Seriously look at the Boardman - its great for the money and it rides very nicely. Its quite race oriented though, the top top is a bit longer then some other bikes in the price race, and the gearing is quite high.

If its your first road bike, you might want something with a Compact or a Triple chainset. Test ride loads of bikes and get a feel for them.

I take it you mean 'top tube' and not 'top top' ? :tongue:

BTW the comp does come with a compact, as I have one. :biggrin:

Top Bottom