£500 Cycle to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pickup1980

SORRY if you have had this all before.
But i work for the post office and all they give you for cycle 2 work voucher's is £500 topps with halfords.
halfords said i can pick a bike with the RRP of £500 but dont know were to start can anyone help.
Looking for a road bike with carbon forks and aleast 18 speed gears

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
carrera vanquish is around that price or thereabouts isn't it. carrera's are ok, usually get tidy reviews in the press

you certain there is a £500 limit? most orgs it is £1000 because after that you need a consumer credit license

OP
OP
pickup1980

pickup1980

yes emailed them said £500 was the limit
I asked for £1000 forr the boardman carbon pro but they said NO

I got the carrera tdf 2008 the last time just fancied something diffrent

shippers

You could always order something for a few quid more and add to it yourself. Might be worth it if the bike of your dreams is £599.

I know this is a dangerous though as you'll soon by looking at huge bank loans and putting the last £500 of the cost on the CTW.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
for that price the vanquish is certainly the higher specced of the bikes on offer as it has tiagra shifters rather than 2300 , meaning you have a lever under the brakes rather than a button on the side making it easier to shift gears when using the drops .
Also has mounting points for a rack if you want to use it to commute.I must say i had a look at one in the shop last time i was in there and i am tempted to get one if work run C2W again .

All the bikes are much of a muchness otherwise pity you cannot go and try a few for size as even though the bike may have the same "size " they may have different reach(top tube length ).My bike i use for commuting needed a smaller stem to reduce reach recently .

EDIT
The boardmans start at £699 , all depends if you are willing and able to add another £200 to the voucher, cracking bike by all accounts.

kewb

vanquish/virtuoso
practically same bike imho
but massive price difference ?

id go for virtuoso and some gear if a first bike you could upgrade parts later for pennies .

just my twa pennies worth .

check out giant defy btw op ,
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-4-2009-Road-Bike_20151.htm

im friendly with the guy in locals halfords and wrangled a test run on a virtuoso
round car park and its a good bike for the money imho and he says they shift a lot of them you could get shoes and jkt etc with that bike all within £500 budget ?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
pickup1980 said:

I chose this one, having the same budget. Like it a lot.

Willo

I too have an Allez (triple in silver) and bought it via Halfords through the Cycle 2 Work scheme. As with BrumJim, I'm really enjoying in. Only problem I've had is a few punctures so may upgrade the tyres at some point as those on the bike have torn quite easily.

As a slight aside, I sat on bikes with both tiagra and 2300. I actually preferred the 2300 as tend to be mostly riding on the hoods when changing gears.

I'm a postie too, and came up against the exact same problem. I thought I could skip into Halford's and choose a Boardman bike and just pay the difference. Halford's wouldn't have any of it, so I ended up buying the Vanquish. Cracking bike for the money though......:becool: Not seen a bad review for it.

Top Bottom