£700 to spend on a new road bike...recommendations please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CyclingBlade

Hi all! I've long had a love of cycling and had a Carrera Velos for a while but it got stolen, and then I had a chest injury so had to take some time out.

I bought a Claud Butler Echelon at the back end of last year and it does me fine for 40-50 mile rides but I'm looking to upgrade to something a bit nippier, lighter and generally better as I'm keen to do a few sportives!

I've got £700 to spend and I have a friend who is selling a Giant Contend SL 2019, he's never used it due to his own injury problems and he's said he'll take £700 for it, I just wondered if someone more experienced could please advise me whether I should take him up on the offer or whether there is something better out there for the budget?

Any advice hugely appreciated! Thank you :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
There are almost no bikes available under £1000,if the Contend fits, it sounds like a reasonable deal (you can check what they sell for on ebay).
If this one, they were £900 new, so if it's essentially new, it's a good deal https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/contend-sl-2-2019
They are very good bikes IF it's the right size for you (are you and he a similar height/proportions)?

If you want new, you'll quite likely have to wait until autumn for stock and even then no guarantees. If looking used, buying from a friend is a good low risk way to do so

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There are almost no bikes available under £1000,if the Contend fits, it sounds like a reasonable deal (you can check what they sell for on ebay).
If this one, they were £900 new, so if it's essentially new, it's a good deal https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/contend-sl-2-2019
They are very good bikes IF it's the right size for you (are you and he a similar height/proportions)?

If you want new, you'll quite likely have to wait until autumn for stock and even then no guarantees. If looking used, buying from a friend is a good low risk way to do so
assuming it fits then sounds a good deal , would the seller honour any warrenty claims by taking it back to the shop if any issues did arise ? if so then sounds like a bargain

DSK

I've seen Giant Defy 105 with disc brakes for £700 on the used adverts.

New, I'd probably be looking along the lines of a Trek Domane/Emonda ALR. I know Evans had some interesting deals on this range prior to Lockdown.

With a used bike, you always have to expect to tweak and change a few bits like tyres etc so if the Contend is ready to ride then its worth it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to Decathlon ... You'll come out with a great bike.
In 3 months time :laugh:

Top Bottom