£700 to spend on road bike, for club rides whats would your suggestions be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speedygoo

I have around £700 to spend as the title insists and i dont need any extras as this is just a bike adding to the collection

Cyclist33

Google and your local bike shops.

vickster

Legendary Member
Other than it looking nice in the garage, what type of and how much riding will you doing - in terms of club rides? Terrain? Distance?
Giant Defy 2, good value at £700 odd at the moment - has Tiagra while quite a few at that price are Sora. Boardman bikes offer good vfm too. You could go used and get a carbon bike, but you'll need to know what you are going.

Is it purely a weekend toy or needed for wet weather / commuting too

Think you need more to give info if you want an actual recommendation!

If you are in the NE, there is a Giant Defy 1 for sale in the Classifieds at £500 which is stunning value at around half price

OP
OP
S

speedygoo

i have a mtb, an old carrera flat bar roadie and a dahon folding job, so it will be use mainly as a play thing, im based in birmingham, have been to the usual evans, and cycle surgery i will pop to the couple of shops around digbeth this week.

the plan is to use the bike to get back up to a level of fitness where i can comfertably do sunday morning club rides

so far my favourites have been trek 1.5 and the felt f95 ( although the f95 is a 2300 groupset)

vickster

Legendary Member
Cool. CS have the Defy 2, but only an M/L so you'd need to be 6ftish realistically

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CGIA0595KR

You can certainly do better than 2300 for £700 - the Triban has that for £300 - although not all about the gearing

Have you ridden the Trek, can't go far wrong, especially if it's reduced as Trek (like Specialized) do seem overpriced IMO

Got On your bike in Birmingham too

Have a look at Cannondale, Cube. Jamis, big in US, not so much here, have a good rep - Evans sell them

105 on a Felt Z85, but only in 51cm, great if you are on the smaller size! http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/44794/Felt_Z85_Bike_2012

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
At that sort of money i would go for second hand, should be able to find something really nice, but you need to know what you are looking at, if you do not know much about them go for a new one.

Zakalwe

What other bikes do you have and what do you hope to gain from a new one - be it performance, bragging rights, etc.

400bhp

Guru
One with two wheels, a frame and a saddle.

Sorry, we just seem to be getting so many of these "what bike" threads.

In reality, these days most bikes over £500 are reasonable and do the job. Whether a bike is good or bad will really come down to personal preference and how it fits.

Maybe a better question is what bikes are crap? Perhaps a sticky:whistle:

Top Bottom