1.5 volt AA rechargeables help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello All,

Can anyone tell me which type of AA rechargeable batteries have the full 1.5volt rather than the 1.25volt that most have ? My camera which I normally carry with me just shuts off after the batteries have dropped down to 1.25volt (shortly after charging) Must sense low voltage and give up!

Many Thanks Brad

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How old are the rechargeables ?

Use Panasonic hybrid batteries in my camera, and bike lights.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I've never heard of any. NiCad and NiMH both kick out about 1.2v nominal: that's chemistry and you can't really get around it

Is there any other way to power the camera? e.g. a DC in jack that you could make up an external battery pack for, or an official rechargeable pack of some kind?

I had this same trouble with my Samsung Digital camera eating both rechargable, and Duracell Alkaline batteries. In the end I got rid of the camera, as info found on camera forums indicated that this was sort of standard. For the new digital camera that I have, and for my front and rear bicycle lights, and the blinkies I now use 2700 mAh, NiMh rechargable AA batteries. I can now shoot in excess of 450 photos @ 7 megapixel, and still have enough remaining power for approx. 10 minutes of Hi res video. As for the Bike lights and blinkies: With a autumn and winter use of about 4 hours per week they last for months on one recharging; albeit the lights are not special, but good enough for my cycling in and around Norwich, and about 4 miles out to the village.

gbb

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
Look for rechargeable alkaline rather than NiMh.

Like this
Thats a useful link Porky...i may try some in my Rayovak alkaline charger.

I was going to suggest rechargeable alkalines, but the ones i had some years ago (Rayovak) couldnt be charged anywhere near as many as those in the linky.

If its any consolation OP, my digi camera doesnt like NiMh batteries either.

MajorMantra

As fossy says, one option is simply to buy the best quality nimhs you can find, as these will have lower internal resistance and a flatter discharge curve. The newer generation of nimhs that self-discharge slowly (Hybrios, Eneloops, Infiniums etc.) are generally very good. I use them for my digital SLR and my Tesco torch bike lights.

Matthew

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Eneloops are fantastic - I use nothing else now. I have, uh, 72 of them ...

I don't recommend Infiniums, though: they proved so unreliable I took them back and got a refund, replacing them with more Eneloops.

MajorMantra

Ben Lovejoy said:
Eneloops are fantastic - I use nothing else now. I have, uh, 72 of them ...

I don't recommend Infiniums, though: they proved so unreliable I took them back and got a refund, replacing them with more Eneloops.

Interesting. I use them interchangeably and haven't observed any particular difference.

Matthew

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Actually, I've been using Infiniums in my camera for over a year - heavy juice sapping Fuji S9600 - very good life, great standby times (i.e. don't go flat if not using).... and have them in my Hope lights for the last 6 months - again, great burn time, low 'power loss'.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Many thanks all, the camera is just a cheap Kodak easy share I have two of these and they both suffer from the same problem, the internal circuitry just senses 1.25 volt and thinks the batteries are flat and shuts off. The batteries then can be used for many other purposes without problems. They will work just after charging whilst the battery voltage remains high but not for long. I'm not too keen on none rechargeable AA's but knew that there was a battery out that gave the true 1.5 volt albeit with less charge/discharge cycles.

Thanks Porkypete just what I'm after.

Top Bottom