1 inch threaded headset spacers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petmcgratt

Is it possible to get 1 inch threaded spacers to stack up a headset.

My wife bought me a 1 inch threaded headset for my fixed wheel project as a christmas present. I have fitted the headset but the complete headset is still about 1 inch too short and therefore the threads of the forsk stem are still showing.

On a threadless fork it is easy to stack the head set with the appropriate sized spacers but with a threaded fork can you use the same spacers as for a threadless fork and then tighten with the lock ring or do you buy threaded spacers.

Haven't been able to source 1 inch threaded spacers so not sure how to stack this headset.

thanks

peter

MikeMc

Über Member
1" spacers are not threaded just like a threadless fork. You are effectively just putting in a stack of washers. Very tall washers admittedly.

raindog

er.....
Yes, you can either fit spacers between the bearing and the lock nut, or you can shorten the fork as youngoldbloke says.

OP
OP
P

petmcgratt

thanks guys for the tips.

Just one other question.

The threaded lock nut which is the last component of the headset to be fitted. Is this restricted in the number of times you can screw this down the threads of the fork steering tube. I have been able to thread both the top race and spacer down as far as need be but the lock nut will only rotate several times before coming to a stop. is this a deliberate design feature or have i got a faulty lock nut?

peter

heretic

The lock nut is bottomed out. The blind end is stopping it tightening any further. As above, you either need a few spacing washers or to take a hacksaw to the steerer tube. If you cut it make sure you measure it properly first!!

raindog

er.....
As heretic says - the lock nut should be a snug fut at the top of the steerer, so either saw off the right ammount, as we've already said, or use spacers.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
When trimming the steerer down, always leave room for 5-10 mm of spacers.
If you trim right down, you can find you can't fit a new headset because it has a bigger stack height than the old one.

Top Bottom