1" Threaded Headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jugular

I recently had my frame renovated by Bob Jackson Cycles and despite instructions to hold on to the headset they ended up losing it. I haven't looked at the frame properly since it's been returned so I can't coment on the quality of the finish though I'm confident that it will be good.

So, now I have to find a new headset to fit the frame. It's an old Dawes frame and needs a 1" threaded headset but I'm worried about all the other measurements that need to be matched and how I find out what size it is. Looking at St. John's website I find 8 headsets and a few with different measurements (one described as English Threaded...?). I'm told that a 26.4mm fork seat is the standard and 27mm are like hens teeth. And Stack height...? Can anyone advise me what to look for or how to find out? Most local shops seems fairly woolly on their knowledge of the problem.

Cheers for the advice.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
It's probably going t be a 1" traditional standard headset, but it's worth checking here headsets which will show you how to measure the headtube. Stack height is basically the additional height you would add to the head tube by using that particular headset, so lets say a headset with a stack height (i.e. the height of the cups) of 16mm willl increases a 150mm headtube to 166mm. Not so much of an issue with threaded headsets, but threadless ones could cause issues with steerer lengths.

While your on, get yourself a set of digital vernier calipers to measure everything properly - invaluable at around £15!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
It's probably going t be a 1" traditional standard headset, but it's worth checking here headsets which will show you how to measure the headtube. Stack height is basically the additional height you would add to the head tube by using that particular headset, so lets say a headset with a stack height (i.e. the height of the cups) of 16mm willl increases a 150mm headtube to 166mm. Not so much of an issue with threaded headsets, but threadless ones could cause issues with steerer lengths.

While your on, get yourself a set of digital vernier calipers to measure everything properly - invaluable at around £15!

Ehh actually it is generally far more critical for a threaded headset - if the stack height is too large (by even a few mm), you can run out of thread for the locknut. Worth reading this if unsure.

Top Bottom