10 Day Tour in the UK! Some advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

Looking to do a 10 day tour in the UK later this year with the wife. I am 15st and we will be staying in B&B's so will only be carrying spares, clothing and usuals such as wash kit, camera etc etc.

I currently have a Specialized Tri-Cross which I use for my daily 13 mile each way commute. Will this be robust enough for touring?

I am considering purchasing the Revolution Country Explorer - If i do, how easy are the mechanical disc brakes to maintain, if I have any problems when on the road?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Don't buy a bike yet!
Just go away on what you have for a weekend, and see how you get on.
If you're commuting 13 miles a day, you'll be alright.

andym

Über Member
I'm sure the Specialized Tri-cross will be fine. Especially as you aren't carrying a lot of luggage.

If the mechanical discs are Avid BB7s or BB5s then the answer is 'very easy' - if the brakes pads wear you simply turn the adjuster to adjust their position relative to the disc rotor. Couldn't be easier.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Where are you going? Dales are gorgeous if you fancy Yorkshire, and you could make it to the lakes as well!!

Easy to get your bike on the train to Leeds...direct trains and you just need to book your bike in advance. Then it's an easy train to Skipton and they take bikes!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Take a train to Carlisle and then follow the Lochs and Glens route to Inverness, then the North Sea cycle route to Aberdeen and then the Coast and Castles to Newcastle and the train home.

e-rider

crappy member
You could do LEJOG in 10 days - mech discs are not as easy as Vs or cantis - for a start, pads come in zillions of shapes and sizes - most shops only stock the most common. As for the tri-cross; they are easily strong enough and decent bikes - unless you've money to burn I wouldn't consider getting another bike.

andym

Über Member
tundragumski said:
...mech discs are not as easy as Vs or cantis - for a start, pads come in zillions of shapes and sizes - most shops only stock the most common.

So you get the right ones and carry a pair of spares. Not exactly rocket science.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
andym said:
So you get the right ones and carry a pair of spares. Not exactly rocket science.

Better still, fit new ones just before you set off on tour. It's unlikely that they will wear out in ten days.

As for adjustment - just like any other form of brake - take up the slack with the barrel adjusters.

Mechanical disks on my Carerra Kraken did a sterling job of bringing my 23 stone carcase to a halt on steep descents on and off road.

Mechanical disc brakes are nothing to be frightened of.

On the other hand - your existing bike should be up to the job so the potential problems with disc brakes should enter into the picture.

A

another_dave_b

vernon said:
Mechanical disks on my Carerra Kraken did a sterling job of bringing my 23 stone carcase to a halt on steep descents on and off road.

The power of prayer is a wondrous thing B)

Top Bottom