10 days of triban 3ism-a few thoughts, obs and questions!..........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
So............
...................what a shedload of bicycle for for the price of 10 curries for two? (:hungry: shorely shome mishtake?-Ed)

But seriously.............I was thrilled to unpack my gleaming red 'n black machine last week to find not only free choccy bars but also useless lights and bell (ding-DONG!...... (more later). Importantly.....it was tight (apart from the bars) and pre-fettled(ish) and ready to go.

Having had little experience of 'road' bikes my first trundles were a steep learning curve after many years riding a full suspension MTB up and over Devons hills........but the prospect of a triple ring and a bit of potential light tour-ability made the Tribby unresistible at the price.

I've put in about 10 miles a day (give-or-take) which is more than I usually manage and is going some for me..........I usually point the bike at the nearest of of 3 pubs and go for it.

I know how popular this bike is and what a perceived bargain it appears so thought I'd let you know how it's got on?

I was pleased to have selected the 'right' size, given that there was no way I could have tried before I ride......I'm 5' 9" with a 30in inside leg so the the 54cm size seems towork well for me. All the adjustments are there (somewhere!)

I changed a few things from the fit/comfort point of view over the week, but didn't want to spend an inordinate amount.......aiming for a few budget/discounted 'improvements in keeping with its cheap-as-chips ethos.

A new, shorter and flipped stem improved my reach ( a blingtastic 90mm RaceFace job) and a pair of decent quality all-alloy double-sided cage pedals gave me the option of straps/toe-clips or no straps as and when I'm ready and in keeping with my sad n00biness!

I sent away for the Charge Spoon as well. The stock saddle wasn't bad but I hoped, after reading the many favourable reviews, that the Spoon might be that bit better. In the event...it proved NOT to be. Altogether too hard and broad for ME at least, and my nadgers where throbbing after a couple of days, so I dug around the shed for one of my old slim MTB 'Vetta' saddles which was much better on all counts.

I can't really fault MOST of the bike...........certainly not for that money!

Most people flag up the wheels as being hot for replacing but mine are strong, straight and true and I can't say I would know any better at the moment.

Finish is lovely, and the quality of the frame and fittings is better than I expected at the price.

Transmission-wise, I do think that even I can detect some of the cost-cutting compromise.
While the shifters, front and rear mech do what Shimano do best, the cranks and chainset are a bit gruesome IMO and top of my list of possible future upgradies. Everything about it is a bit clunky and desperate!
The chain set is flexy pressed steel and looks like it was made with tin-snips from bean cans and the chain rattles and clatters over it quite alarmingly. The NOISE is fearful! No need for the puny (free) bell, everybody can hear you coming a mile away. I'm wondering whether things might 'bed-in' a bit after a few miles-or whether a new and (better) chain and chainset might be in order some way down the line-what do you think?

Nothing appears to be rubbing and I've tweaked the gears as much as I am able....so I'm hoping the clatter is just par for the course on a cheap, new triple set-up-but I would be interested in anyone elses experience of this, as it does diminish the bike somewhat.

But hey.............it goes along pretty well and is more than MY legs can manage! Also...it looks SPLENDID and has gathered a few crowds around it at my local beer-gardenz and 'The Nod' from a few out-and-out but scarily taciturn 'Roadies'!

WHile it is certainly compromised and built to a price, I reckon it has everything going for it and I have seriously enjoyed my first 10 days with it. I also enjoy tweaking bikes to a certain extent so plenty to get on with should the fancy take?

All best my Tribbles!

w

paulw77

Über Member
Which Raceface stem did you go for ?

DelB

Loved reading this - Thanks Widge. Gonna order a Triban towards the end of the month (got my birthday coming up!) and am just hoping that Decathlon still have stock when I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. It will be my first road bike ever and I've enjoyed reading all the positive feedback for the bike on the Forum.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I can't say that I have experienced any particular noise from the drive train.. It was slightly loud when out of the box but some dry PTFE lube silenced it. I also haven't noticed any flexing. I took mine out for a 105 mile spin (he throws in casually as if to imply that he wasn't completely knackered afterwards!!!) a few days after getting it- so all nicely bedded in. I agree with Widge - wheels may not be the best or the lightest....but they're round, spin freely and are true, which is good enough for me.

defy-one

No issues with the drive trian in terms of noise. Had a few rogue gear change issues today,but i think that's due to cables strectching. I will give it a mini check up service as it's about a month old now and done around 300 miles.
The wheels are true strong and straight. They have handled all the rough roads in London and i will keep them. Tyres are cheap but will replace those once these wear out

Typhon

I have the same noise problem with the chain/cranks. It seems to be particularly bad in the 4th and 5th gears on the back and in the highest gears on the front. It also has a little bit of trouble changing into the 4th and 5th gears. I've done about 200 miles on mine over the course of about 2 weeks and it doesn't really seem to be improving.

It's a minor inconvenience on an otherwise fantastic bike but still, I'd like to see people's advice on how to try and minimise the clunking problem. I have to free-wheel if I am anywhere near a horse (which is often round here) for fear of spooking it!

HovR

Über Member
It also has a little bit of trouble changing into the 4th and 5th gears. I've done about 200 miles on mine over the course of about 2 weeks and it doesn't really seem to be improving.

After 200 miles it could be that the cables have bedded in/stretched, and that your gears need to have the indexing adjusted. Not a big job, your LBS could probably do it in minutes, or you could learn how to do it yourself using online sources (YouTube tutorials are great!).

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Ok..... without wishing to teach anyone to boil eggs......
Check where the noise is actually coming from. If the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur it will be noisy and is best avoided by using the gears correctly. In effect what this means is that you should always keep the chain as straight as possible - so ideally when on the smallest chainring at the front the chain should be on the largest gears at the rear. If on the middle chainring use the middle gears at the back and if on the largest chainring use the smallest gears at the back. This will cut down noise and undue wear. Sorry if you already know all that!!!!!!
Ok, now assuming that the above isn't the problem it is likely to be the indexing of the rear derailleur. With the chain on the middle ring at the front - put it into the noisy 4th gear and then looking at the derailleur and rear cluster from behind see whether the chain is being delivered centrally to the gear cluster. If the derailleur seems to be slightly to the outside of the wheel adjust the gear cable adjuster to tighten the cable slightly (anti clockwise) if the derailleur seems to be delivering the chain too near to the hub of the wheel slacken the cable by turning the cable adjuster clockwise)
Bear in mind that the gears are likely to need adjusting slightly over the 1st few weeks as the cables may stretch slightly so will need tightening slightly to take out the slack. What you don't need to do is adjust the little screws on the derailleur!
Having typed all the above, some extra noise is likely just until everything has bedded in nicely - so do remember to use a good chain lube, which will cut down on the wear and the noise.

Top Bottom