10 speed chainset on steel bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hi,
I'd be grateful for some advice on whether a compact chainset (10 speed comaptible) will work with a 5 speed chain.

This is for my steel Holdsworth Special - I've been struggling with a 52/42 chainset and have seen a 48/34 chainset on PlanetX. It's part of their Holdsworth revival, so it has the right branding and hopefully will look the part.

It's the mention of "10 speed compatible" that bothers me, does anyone know if this is a problem, as my chain is presumably much wider than a 10 speed. Are there any pitfalls?

In case you're wondering, I can't go any larger than 26 teeth on the rear freewheel. That's the limit of my Suntour Cyclone RD, which I want to retain.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm guessing it's a square taper bottom bracket?

A compact square taper one might do it without having to change bottom brackets.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It'll 'work' but the chain could flop about a bit on the chain rings and changing could be a bit 'meh'.
Still, if it's a 5 speed block I take it it's friction shifters, nothing indexed, so nothing much lost.

If the freewheel will take it I think I'd try a 6 speed chain next time it's time to change.

You'll likely be OK with the JIS taper - but if not, Shimano UN55 are dead cheap and last forever.
Chances are on a bike of that vintage you'll want a 68x122.5, but measure the spindle of your existing one to be sure.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You might run into capacity problems with your rear mech, 52/42 having a difference of 10 and 48/34 a difference of 14 so you may end up with slack in the chain in some combinations. There's also the question of whether your front mech can cope with the 14T difference.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I can't see any problems. My 1985 Raleigh Royal came with a 50-36 chainset at the front as standard with a 5 speed rear block. Front mech obviously designed to cope. It is a clunky change but thats just compared to modern stuff. probably perfectly acceptable in the 80s. I've got old bikes with old front mechs running 50-34 modern compact cranks and they shift just fine.

Top Bottom