10 Spoke wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FIZZPIT

Hi,

I've been looking into the possible purchase of a Giant FCR 1.

Does it only having 10 spokes per wheel pose any problems? Ie are the wheels weaker than standard spoked ones?

Many Thanks

Noodley

Someone somewhere will say they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Someone somewhere near the other place will say they are the worst thing since sliced bread.
(this comparison obviously relies on one's view of sliced bread..)

:rolleyes:

I have wheels on one of my bikes which I was told would not last beyond me farting on the saddle - that was 3 years ago...no hard and fast. Giant are not gonna put shoot wheels on one of their bikes are they? are they? :angry::biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think you've misread the product description. The Giant FCR 1 is a budget hybrid and has standard wheels. As far as I know no-one makes 10 spoke wheels, in fact I think the UCI minimum is 12.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
On the standard Giant photo that doubtless everyone uses, it looks like 10f/12r spokes, but they are actually paired so there are 20/24 spokes.
sample page with photo

The wheel will be strong enough, but the spokes are a long way apart on the rim, so if one does break the wheel will go so far out of true as to be unrideable.

Mortiroloboy

One of the guys in my club rides some low spoke count wheels, cannot recall just how few he has on one of his bikes, but we commented back in the winter that if he snapped one, then it was going to be a walk home job, as the spoke count was so low that if he had snapped a spoke the wheel would have gone so far out of true that it would not have turned through the fork.:smile:

OP
OP
F

FIZZPIT

Thanks for the replys everyone (& well spotted Smokin Joe).

I really fancy this bike, but the spoke thing is concerning me....

Mortiroloboy

FIZZPIT said:
Thanks for the replys everyone (& well spotted Smokin Joe).

I really fancy this bike, but the spoke thing is concerning me....

I wouldn't, providing you're not a heffalump, the wheels will be OK the rims will have a deeper section, which compensates for the lower spoke count, just make sure you have a mobile, or your cafe covers with you, just in case 10 miles from home you snap a spoke and the wheel goes wobbly, or you could slip a couple of spares into your seat tube and a spoke key in your seat pack.

Top Bottom