10 weeks to get fit for Pru 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I signed up to the Pru 100 a month back but hadn't started training until this weekend when it dawned on me it was only 10 weeks away!

I am a larger chap, but have completed other challenges before but never taken on a 100 mile sportive. Most miles I have covered in a day so far is 85, so I am a bit concerned.

I've planned to complete a ride every Saturday, increasig the distance by 10miles every week up to 90 miles the weekend before the event. This combined with a 2 hour evening ride or gym session in the week, what does everyone think? Do I need to be doing more?

My general fitness is ok, I play football once a week so not completely out of shape.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
If you've ridden 85 miles before and plan to continue with long rides every Sat. for the next 9 or so weeks, then you'll have no problems. Stop worrying! ^_^

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
If you've ridden 85 miles before and plan to continue with long rides every Sat. for the next 9 or so weeks, then you'll have no problems. Stop worrying! ^_^
Thanks. The 85 miles was a couple of years ago, so I haven't had been to that level for some time. Hopefully the build up will do me fine.

bicycling_nurse

That sounds ok to me as well. I'm also doing Ride London and have had a small panic, though mine was last weekend when I had a virus, missed several days riding and felt as weak a kitten. I've never ridden anything like 85 miles in one go! I'm doing short rides most days (including commuting) and a long ride once a week on which I'm steadily building up distance but the longest I've done is 37 miles so far (just done 25 miles today as I'm still not feeling 100% back to normal after being unwell). I doubt I'll get up to 85-90 miles, I was planning on building up to about a 70 miler the week before the event and am worrying this might not be enough.

If you train for a marathon you never do 26.2 miles until the day of the event, so you don't need to build up to full ride distance before hand, so @livpoksoc if you can get back close to your 85 again you'll be fine for your ton, and @bicycling_nurse, if you can get upto around the 50-60 mark then you'll be fine as well for your 85 :thumbsup:

On the day the adrenaline, the crowd and the overall atmosphere will get you to the finish, trust me ;)

Time in the saddle is one of the most important factors, so don't worry if you can't do an intended ride of 30/40/50 miles one day, just get out and do what you can.

vickster

Legendary Member
10 weeks, eek

Yesterday I went up box hill for the first time. Slowly, as didn't know what to expect vas it was ok. Today I went up Wimbledon hill, ugh going to be hard after 90 miles. No shame in walking though :biggrin:

I need to work with my physio to try to ease at least one or two of my niggles! My plan is to do at least 20k every day I can, either outside or on the exercise bike. Sure it'll be fine! Having no traffic will make a huge difference I think!

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I've had the adrenaline buzz on the way into Paris, but by the end of Nightrider I was wishing it would end as the course staff were a bit clueless. At two stops we asked the distance to the next stop & were told less than it actually was.

Either way, hopefully I can get enough miles underneath me before August. Good luck to everyone else training for Pru!

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't have an ego :smile: Nor anything to wave around ;)

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Lol fair enough. Im looking forward to the ride tbh, just talking to the taxi driver on my way to LHR tonight, he hates it - living in Kingston and working around that area when the roads get shut is a nightmare apparently.

Top Bottom