1000 mile service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pes

I have just passed the 1000 mile mark and was wondering if I should be considering any particular extra service or maintenance requirement.

I keep my bike clean and lubricate the chain & most other moving parts fairly regularly and things appear to be ok but you never know. I was wondering if there is anything else that I need to do.

My bike is my pride and joy and is now 7 months old (so the distance is not a major achievement really!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

check your brake pads for excessive wear. and your tyres for cuts.

Keep your tyres well inflated.

Check your saddle height; it may have dropped slightly.

Check for any play on your cone nuts, and tighten/adjust your QRs if you have them.

If you´re cleaning/lubing regularly, then you shoudn´t encounter any problems.

gbb

Legendary Member
I dont particually think of servicing mine at any particular intervals...rather maintaining it at regular intervals.
If you havnt already done it, and some of these wont even be covered in a normal 'service', this is some of what i do.
I'd remove the brake blocks and inspect them for embedded debris. A stanley knife will dig out any flint etc that will wear your rims out faster than you'd believe. I particually do this several times in the winter.

If you have carbon forks, remove the front brake caliper nut and clean out the recess. It can accumulate a lot of debris, and on my last bike, it was a holding point for moisture, crud and salt that caused the carbon wrap to seperate slightly from the alloy below. Having cleaned it thoroughly, i put plenty of anti sieze in the recess, to ward off any corrosion. I do this once a year.

Inspect the frame and look for any chips. I found a nasty one on my last bike on the rear stays and it had started that furry corrosion. Even if you have no suitable paint, a spray of clear laqueur will seal it against further attack. You can buy a can from halfords or the like for a few quid.

Once or twice a year, i'll remove the brake calipers and give them a good clean, even apply a little polish to the chrome on the calipers and lightly lube the pivot points. It keeps them in good nick and they look like new when done.

Apart from the chain, which i replace before its cream crackered, i work on the principle if anything needs doing like play in the BB, dodgy gear shifting etc......it will already be telling me.

gbb

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
Keep your tyres well inflated.

Check your saddle height; it may have dropped slightly.

Check for any play on your cone nuts, and tighten/adjust your QRs if you have them.

If you´re cleaning/lubing regularly, then you shoudn´t encounter any problems.

Oh yes....before i had sealed bearings, that was one area i'd check regulary and adjust promptly if needed.

Top Bottom