1000watt challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Curto80

Few of the guys I ride virtually with have been attempting this on the turbo without success so I wondered how reflective that is of the wider cycling community? Anyone manage to hit 1000w on the turbo with relative ease?

CXRAndy

Guru
Few of the guys I ride virtually with have been attempting this on the turbo without success so I wondered how reflective that is of the wider cycling community? Anyone manage to hit 1000w on the turbo with relative ease?

Yes, 1240W on a Tacx Neo2.

Outdoors 1400Watts 48*11gearing accelerating out of a bend downhill

Milkfloat

An Peanut
1000 for me is very easy, going fast up a hill is harder. A lot will depend on the turbo as many will spin out before hitting 1000 watts.

It depends on their weight. The most I've ever been is 899w since I have had a power meter (last September). I might have broke 1000w before then but I doubt I will now. 899w was about 15w/kg for me at the time and I'm 4kg lighter now. The most Ive hit this year (although I've not pushed) is a comfortable 699w (12.5w/kg). I seriously doubt there's another 301w (5.4w/kg) there for me (17.9w/kg in total) at nearly 45years old :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
It depends on their weight. The most I've ever been is 899w since I have had a power meter (last September). I might have broke 1000w before then but I doubt I will now. 899w was about 15w/kg for me at the time and I'm 4kg lighter now. The most Ive hit this year (although I've not pushed) is a comfortable 699w (12.5w/kg). I seriously doubt there's another 301w (5.4w/kg) there for me (17.9w/kg in total) at nearly 45years old :laugh:
Its true, heavier riders can produce the power more readily. There are plenty of lightweight riders who can and produce in excess of 1000W, its not always about weight but leg speed to attain the power. Its a balance between too tall a gear and bogging down on revolutions, so peak is short before legs blow up and over revving with too easier gear. I find I over accelerate/ over rev, but can hold the power a bit longer for 10-15secs. My rpms are around 115-125rpm to make big Watts. I would happily trade 300W peak for and extra 0.5W/kg average over a race event.

1000W for how long? 1-2 secs yeah easy otherwise anything north of 300 and I’m dying on the turbo but out on the road I’m hitting dozens of 3,4,5,600 watt with all the short sharp hills around here.

CXRAndy

Guru
I got a w/kg record at the weekend thats more important to me as a light weight. It was only 862 w but at 15.35w/kg I severely doubt at my current size at nearly 45years I'll push by 1000w unless there is some massive interference/error :laugh:

Those are impressive numbers, mine are around 11-12W/kg

Like I mentioned Id trade 300W peak for an extra 0.5W/kg:laugh:

I achieved the 1.21 gigawatt on Zwift the other day during a sprint section. A slight virtual downhill where I could really spin up. And I can somewhat maintain +400watt on longer sprints. But as big'ish guy my w/kg numbers suck, I'm really happy if I can maintain anything over 2w/kg for rides over an hour. My current fatarsemass is 112.7kg.

Top Bottom