105 chainset from 2001. Advice sought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'm stripping down my GT 3.0 and have come across a chainset fixing I am not familiar with. It has a normal looking hex bolt holding the chainset and crank in place but when I removed it found it to be a lot thicker in diameter than the usual bolt.

I am assuming it is virtually the same as the usual sort but that to get it off with a crank extractor I will have to use the wide adaptor that is provided with it (I've never had to use it before). Am I right in this? Does this shimano 105 53/39 double chainset come off in the usual way. I would just like to be sure before I go screwing things in and using lots of torc' to get it off if it's just going to knacker it and I should be doing something else entirely.

Sorry I can't provide pics as no working camera at the mo'

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Sounds like you have a Shimano Octalink (probably V1) chainset/bb. See this. If in doubt provide the chainset model code (FC-xxxx, found on the inside face of the crank arm) so Shimano tech doc can be checked with. For removal of Octalink chainset see this. You must never mismatch Octalink V1 and V2 bb/chainset - it is a sure recipe for chainset destruction.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Sounds like you have a Shimano Octalink (probably V1) chainset/bb. See this. If in doubt provide the chainset model code (FC-xxxx, found on the inside face of the crank arm) so Shimano tech doc can be checked with. For removal of Octalink chainset see this. You must never mismatch Octalink V1 and V2 bb/chainset - it is a sure recipe for chainset destruction.
Thanks. Yes, that looks like the sort of thing I've got. Will check it out on tec doc.

PpPete

Legendary Member

As is leaving the wide "button" on the chainset removal tool (intended for Octalink) when you've actually got a square taper. DAMHIKT !

Top Bottom