105 shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
Just an idea, can you move the derailleur with your fingers at all, you should be able to pull it outwards (away from the bike) a bit. If you can't then it sounds stuck....otherwise what I said should work.

E

Euan Uzami

i use these:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle
m-part-micro-inline-gear-cable-tension-adjusters-pair.jpg

more detailed explanation on park tools, but BASICALLY, the procedrue is as follows

front mech, the order is:
1) get its position right
2) get its travel right
3) connect cables and get tension right.
must be in that order. don't mix the steps.
for the tension, get the chain on the small front ring and large rear sprocket. i.e lowest gear.
pull cable hand tight, then fix cable by tightening the bolt holding it.
then tighten the cable with the barrel adjuster until it will shift onto the other chainrings satisfactorily.

Chrisz

Über Member
Euan Uzami said:
for the tension, get the chain on the small front ring and large rear sprocket. i.e lowest gear.
pull cable hand tight, then fix cable by tightening the bolt holding it.
then tighten the cable with the barrel adjuster until it will shift onto the other chainrings satisfactorily.

Sounds spot-on to me! Exactly how I've always done mine.

Just to add - loosen off the travel adjuster screws first, get the mech set so the levers can do their job then use the screws to control the inner/outer limits of movement. :ohmy:

I have mine set up so that there's always a little sension in the cable - halps with faster shifting :laugh:

Mortiroloboy

secretsquirrell said:
you need to make the 105 shifter was in the correct position for the small chain ring, then repeat the above process and it should work.

Well spotted, yes, as SS says make sure that the levers (STi's) are clicked over so they match the current position of the chain on the relevant sprocket chainring combination. then repeat the FD cable loosening procedure.

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

cheers guys but I took it to the LBS and apparently it was a faulty shifter. The problems quite commoon apparently on the 105 shifters, as shimano have mad them to work with both triple and compact chainsets. Sometimes the extra click on a double confuses it and causes it to break... somehow :?

E

Euan Uzami

roadiewill said:
cheers guys but I took it to the LBS and apparently it was a faulty shifter. The problems quite commoon apparently on the 105 shifters, as shimano have mad them to work with both triple and compact chainsets. Sometimes the extra click on a double confuses it and causes it to break... somehow :?

hmm. my triple one's actually got 4 positions, apparently helps with trimming. granny ring uses 1, middle 3 and large 4. 2 is unused.

Top Bottom