10spd/11 spd differences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roger44

can someone confirm if there is any difference in the gears and spacers that make up a 10spd cassette and an 11 speed cassette, and if there isnt any difference, why do Shimano sell 10spd and 11 spd chains?
Im asking cos one of gear is always catching when I change up or down and Im wondering if Ive mixed up a gear.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Eleven speed cassettes have their sprockets closer together and an 11 speed chain is narrower to cope with that.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Spacing is different - you need an 11spd compatible freehub body to fit 11spd cassette as they are a little wider than 10spd. But you'd only 'mix them up' if you took both cassettes apart? Or are you saying you have 10spd cassette with 11spd shifters or vice versa? Sounds like more of a gear adjustment problem

OP
OP
R

roger44

Spacing is different - you need an 11spd compatible freehub body to fit 11spd cassette as they are a little wider than 10spd. But you'd only 'mix them up' if you took both cassettes apart? Or are you saying you have 10spd cassette with 11spd shifters or vice versa? Sounds like more of a gear adjustment problem
yes I think they may have mixed up. I was rebuilding a cassette after cleaning and I had a 10 spd and an 11 spd being cleaned at the same time (rookie mistake). I have tried to micro adjust (SRAM ETAP) but its always the one gear that jumps or skips, depending whether im going up or down?

This doesn't sound right. If there is a wrong spacer in among a bunch of right ones, the gears will work perfectly up to the point where it hits the bad spacer, and then badly on all other gears from there on. An incorrect spacer puts all gears to the one side of the spacer out, not just one gear.

Top Bottom