11 - 25 to 11 - 23 cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I'm wishing to replace my Shimano 9 speed 11-25 cassette but am having trouble finding the better quality group cassettes in these gears. I've found Ultegra but it's 11 - 23, I think this would be fine, would I be correct? I wanted to avoid the basic HG 50 cassette. Cheers.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hope you live somewhere flat.

Also whilst you notice difference in shifters and derailleurs as you go up the group sets, you won't notice any difference between Tiagra 105 and Ultegra cassettes, except in your wallet

MikeW-71

Veteran
What's wrong with the Sora one?

Best bike came with a 105 11-28 cassette. I've just changed it for a Tiagra 12-30. Can't feel any difference in shifting at all, but I get up hills a bit easier :smile:

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
My existing gearing 11-25
11 12 13 15 17 19 21 23 25
11-23
11 12 13 14 15 17 19 21 23
My view is that the 11-23 has a nicer closer range through the "quick" gears where as the 11-25 is a bit more "stepped", I find sometimes where I live My cadence is too high in say 15 but if I change gear to 13 I can't maintain the speed and my cadence is too low, it's just nit picking really.

migrantwing

Veteran
Get a SRAM cassette. Compatible and loads lighter.

...and more expensive: Shimano 105 £20 - SRAM equivalent £30. Ultegra 10 spd is also lighter than the equivalent SRAM cassette by 12 grams.

That said, I can't believe Dura Ace cassettes are in the region of £100. What a bluddy rip off.

Last edited:
12-23 tiagra/sora 9sp only around a tenner if can live without the 11 cog...
Can't beat a straight block:okay:

winjim

Smash the cistern
That said, I can't believe Dura Ace cassettes are in the region of £100. What a bluddy rip off.
If you're riding your bike to the level where you think a carbon fibre and titanium cassette will make a difference, you really ought to think about sponsorship. :okay:

Top Bottom