11 (and maybe 10) speed chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
tried to break an 11 speed chain shimano with my trusty multitool and just couldn’t split it. bike’s gone to lbs but could it be that the pin on the chain tool is too thick for 11 speed (and maybe the 10 speed on another bike). do i need to upgrade my multitool?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A lot of those multitools have only a 'fat' pin. You'll need to buy one specifically for 11 speed.

the snail

Guru
I think it's just the construction of the pins which means you need quite a lot of force to push the pin out, maybe the multitool doesn't have enough leverage?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The pin on my Crank Bros tool will only remove pins from a single speed. The chain tool in my Decathlon tool set has a reversible pin and the finer one will work on up to a 9 speed. Might work on 10/11 speed but I've not tried

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have found that as chains have got narrower on the 9, 10 and 11spd gears that the pins have got correspondingly tighter, requiring more force, and eventually yielding with an often alarming crack. It might not be the fault of your chain tool but more a case of unfamiliarity with more recent chains?

Top Bottom