11spd Turbo Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
Hi

I'm looking at possibly upgrading the groupset on my bike in the next few months to 11spd. I'd factored in that I'd need to initially get two cassettes i.e. one for the road one for the turbo wheel, but it suddenly dawned on me that I'd forgotten about the turbo wheel itself. My road wheel is definitely 11spd but almost certain my turbo one isn't, it's just a cheap £30 wheel I bought solely for using on the turbo.

Does anyone know of any dirt cheap 11spd compatible wheels and where to pick them up? Guessing as 11spd is both new and on higher end groupsets second hand won;t be an option as for one there won;t be many about and also what is is likely to be a relatively high spec.

Is it likely to be an option to just change the free hub? No idea on make/model of the wheel so I imagine that question is impossible to answer.

Cheers

Lee

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Unlike 8/9/10 speed, 11 speed cassettes are fully cross-compatible between Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo (though you still need a wheel with the right free hub). May broaden your options....

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Its more the actual wheel that's the concern. A second cassette should only be about £25 but don't want to then have to spend £££ on a wheel just for indoor use :-/

I didn't realise the cassettes are the same as Campag tho so thanks for that, like you say helps with options.

Looking at new 105, Ultegra or Force 22at the moment. Want to also get a power meter tho so costing up all the different ways to do it. Love window shopping :-D

StuAff

Its more the actual wheel that's the concern. A second cassette should only be about £25 but don't want to then have to spend £££ on a wheel just for indoor use :-/

I didn't realise the cassettes are the same as Campag tho so thanks for that, like you say helps with options.

Looking at new 105, Ultegra or Force 22at the moment. Want to also get a power meter tho so costing up all the different ways to do it. Love window shopping :-D
For absolute clarity, the cassettes themselves aren't the same and aren't compatible (Campag ones still need a Campag free hub, SRAM/Shimano still need a Shimano free hub), but the spacing's the same (unlike 9/10 speed), so a Chorus cassette will work with Ultegra 6800 or Force 22 (say). Lennard Zinn did a test for his online column, swapping wheels (and cassettes, naturally) out between Campag, Shimano and SRAM 11s equipped bikes, and every combination worked as it should.

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
OK, so for a campag cassette I'd need a campag hub etc. But capamg/shim/sram cassettes will work within each others groupset?!

At the moment, the cheapest way seems to be a Power2Max meter with chainrings then buy the remaining parts of the groupset. The other option is Stages but then you're basically paying the same price for the meter as P2M and still effectively having to buy the crankset within the group. The turbo bit just really threw a spanner in the works if I need to start looking at more expensive wheels :-/

StuAff

OK, so for a campag cassette I'd need a campag hub etc. But capamg/shim/sram cassettes will work within each others groupset?!

At the moment, the cheapest way seems to be a Power2Max meter with chainrings then buy the remaining parts of the groupset. The other option is Stages but then you're basically paying the same price for the meter as P2M and still effectively having to buy the crankset within the group. The turbo bit just really threw a spanner in the works if I need to start looking at more expensive wheels :-/
Yup. http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...in-compatibility-hidden-in-plain-sight_303199

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Cool cheers :-)

Actually cheapest option is 105 5800 groupset with a Stages meter looking at the prices currently being quoted. Hopefully there'll be some hands on reviews of the new 105 before I get round to buying.

Top Bottom