120mm plus full sussers recommendation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Those who know me will appreciate, I've recently invested in a upgraded roadie and have been amazed at the impact it has had on my riding (both in terms of enjoyment and the sheer number of miles I've managed to push under the rubber)

As an old MTBer, I've decided to invoke my N+1 right and look at upgrading my old MTB as well.

I'm a fairly tall chap and pretty well built so assume a longish travel bike is the best move (120-150mmm) I'm taken by the cube stereo and also the Spech enduro...if that helps to give a frame of reference.

I generally ride single track, woodland trails (bedgebury, leigh hill and the like) and don't take on big drops (3 ft is an approx max) so don't see a need for a pure DH ride. I'm not a freerider and I already have a really good off roader for general rides to the park with the kids, this is for weekend jaunts to the forest/hills with the chaps.

Happy to look at second hand options on ebay but I'd like to know if there is a really good value brand out there that I've missed or that can be recommended.

Thanks in advance

Jonny

zizou

Veteran
i dont know much about the cube but the enduro is a good bike, i wouldnt overlook the stumpjumper either - it used to be more xc focused but it now has more travel and is very capable. Trek remedy, then there is the orange 5, a bit of an icon of UK mountain biking. I tested all these before choosing my own FS bike (which is a rocky mountain altitude) and all of them were good. 140mm is i think is the sweetspot in terms of travel if you want to ride up and down. Generally over a certain price point and component level then most of what is available is good. If you are moving from an older MTB to a modern one with modern suspension, brakes etc then it will be a revelation how things have improved.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
ooo your RM looks nice!!..I think the orange would have to fall into the ebay group (too much for me as a new one) but then so does the enduro, trek remedy is too much but the fuel almost fits within budget as well (albeit a little less travel).

this is exactley what I wanted, I was sure there were "good" brands that I knew little about.

thanks again

GilesM

Legendary Member
The Giant Trance is very good, may only be 100mm travel, but for what you are planning to do I'm sure it would be pretty good, if you are going for the 120 to 150mm travel then the better bikes do get a bit more expensive, have you considered looking at any of the bike hire shops that operate at trail centres, they sell the bikes off after a fixed number of hires, they are always well looked after, and the discounts are impressive.

To me the obvious choice is the Orange five, after 3 years of riding one, I can safely say all of the praise they get is very well deserved, I know they are a bit expensive, but you could always sell your road bike ^_^. Seriously have a look at the hire shops, you may be surprised.

Have a look at this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzc6pqQU2-c

Top Bottom