180 miler completed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leroy

On Monday I finished a (apparently 160) 180 mile ride.
Ok, it was split over 4 days but for me this was a great achievement - just thought I'd share that qith you all!

Few things I noticed -
  • women love bike riders
  • women love the beard i gre for the occasion
  • 2 days later and i can barely walk
  • on the whole, the carrera TDF held up superbly
so - how long to recover from that ride? I rode 7 miles to work due to train strikes and was hurting!

Rear caliper brake had a tendency to rub on rim, even after adjusting a few times it seemed to slip into rubbing position again - any tips on adjusting this that i might be missing??

numbnuts

Legendary Member
well done :thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well done!

You can "balance"the springs on those brakes with the little screws on the brake arms near the pivots. Screw in to increase spring tension and pull the brake away from the rim.

Nebulous

Guru
Hi Leroy

well done.

For your rear caliper you need to centre it and then tighten the bolt which connects it to the frame (through the centre of the caliper, at least it is on mine) It should be positioned so that when you pull the lever both pads hit the rim at the same time. Tightening can move it off centre a bit in itself, I tend to start slightly the other way to allow for a bit of slippage.

OP
OP
L

leroy

I have tried the frame bolt, it always seems to slip back.

I hadn't noticed the little adjusters. I will see if that helps, cheers

Stuartaw11

Regular
Thats an amazing achievment, i dont even drive 180 miles in a month these days! how did you feel getting back on the bike during the ride? i find after about 30 miles my body is ok but my backside really doesnt want to sit down again

Pigo

Well done! It's a great feeling isn't it when you achieve something personal like that.
I done 311 miles around Wales recently over a week - I felt so good that the next day I went for another 50! I spent the rest of that week doing short relaxing rides to get over it all & it worked for me. Everyone will recover differently so just listen to your body...then get out & do even more!

OP
OP
L

leroy

Thats an amazing achievment, i dont even drive 180 miles in a month these days! how did you feel getting back on the bike during the ride? i find after about 30 miles my body is ok but my backside really doesnt want to sit down again

Getting back on the seat every day was fine, hardest part was getting the legs working again. I found that the first ten miles each day were hard, and then I got into it.

1 puncture between the 4 of us, and that was 4 miles from the end!

OP
OP
L

leroy

Just looked at some stats.
Average speed =13.9
Top speed = 42mph
Average cadence = 67

Top speed was a scary moment, fastest I have gone on a bike!

Top Bottom