18650 battery questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatblokish

Guru
Evening all,
I have a cree front light which I take with me in case I am caught out by sudden, unexpected darkness :blush:

It uses either 3*AAA or an 18650 (held in an insert) battery. As the AAA's don't hold their charge too well, I run the risk of taking flat batteries on a standby torch; not good.

1. Does an 18650 hold their charge better than AAA?
  2. Will my Lidl-special Tronic KH 980 charge an 18650 battery ok? http://www.kompernass.com/pages/_pdfs/91843a455c557da2cf5f274ec6bfbd16.pdf
  3. Are these any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-RECHA...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item2c55649457
  4. If they are, save some for me. If not, can you recommend an alternative which will last about the same duration as 3 fully charged AAA's. The review's I have seen always seem to be from the USA and I want to buy off fleabay or a UK site.
  5. What have I missed?
Thanks, as always, for your kind and considered replies.

I'm no battery expert but I think life is due to the MaH value, I managed to get hold of 1000Mah AAA and they last for ages.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
18650 batteries vary in quality, I would suspect you will get what you pay for. I would also be wary of trying to charge a Lion battery in a charger designed for NiMh or NiCd batteries. I am no expert but it may be dangerous, best to get a specific charger.

Also no expert but I got some of these.

Each lasts a good couple of hours in a 240 lumens front light but for best brightness I charge them more often so two batteries are charged weekly (charger is included).

rusky

CC Addict
18650 batteries are 3.7v & need a specific charger to charge them. They are also longer than a normal battery.
They will last longer than AAA as the capacity is going to be about 3x greater & will probably hold their charge for longer.

As for the ebay link, I would be wary of anything that cheap. If you buy any, get protected ones which should include PTC, protect against over temperature and indirectly over current and will automatic reset. CID or pressure valve, will disable the cell permanently if the pressure is to high in the cell (Can be due to over charge). PCB will protect against over discharge, over charge and over current, depending on design the PCB will reset automatic or when placed in a charger.

rusky

CC Addict
Oh & if you buy from HK or China, bear in mind that it's chinese new year on the 23rd which will delay things.

heliphil

Guru
the easy way out is to buy some Sanyo Eneloop or Vapex Nimh batterys - they are designed to have a very low self discharge rate. So they will hold there charge for months. The 18650's are great (even better very low self discharge rate, will last 6 - 12 months easily) but you do need a special charger for them. Have a look on Deal Extreme if you want to go on the 18650 route

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd certainly go with Torchy for 18650's !

Top Bottom