19 stone heavy needing encouragment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Simba1off

A question:-
The tires on my hybrid are designed for trails plus road use. Seeing that I can only manage between 7-8mph as an average would this increase with my fitness or would I have to change my tires to slicks to get up to a decent speed?
Also is there anywhere on the net that covers diet control for cyclist as I wish to change what I eat , Burger King is too near to where I work, and I'm rubbish at knowing what I should be eating to benefit me getting fitter.
Thanks
Mark

calibanzwei

Speed will increase with fitness, but I wouldn't worry to much about speed for now - focus on increasing your continuous effort (distance/cadence) and fitness/speed will follow :smile:

I've been doing this about a year now and can keep a continuous 18mph on my hybrid tyres, so don't worry too much about slicks.

As for food...
...don't skip breakfast. Eat something with slow release carbs - most on here suggest porridge.
...increase fruit and veg intake, not to heavy on the meat and carbs.
...decrease processed foods.
...eat smaller portions, but have 4-5 portions throughout the day
...not be surprised if appetite increases with regular exercise - eat more of the good stuff :biggrin:

EDIT: I'm 16.5 stone and 6'1" and I love my food :thumbsup:

Cosmicned

Very heartwarming to read all the encouragement on here - I'm 52 & 5'11" and weighed nearly 17 stone last September- I started cycling 12-15 miles a day to and from work & for the first few weeks thought I'd need an Iron Lung when I got there :biggrin::whistle: - now down to 15 stone and weight still falling nice and steadily - eating better & finding any excuse to go out on the bike - just got a nice road bike too now & coping with 30 - 40 milers at the weekends... stick with it - it does get alot easier - going to work now I barely break sweat...:thumbsup: BIG TIP - pack your own lunch - much cheaper/healthier & you can hopefully avoid the dreaded Burger King bloat out...:biggrin:

Top Bottom