1950's Girls' BSA Bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulmh

I have a 1950's girls' bicycle, which is based on the "Airborne Bicycle" of WW2, later renamed the Parabike. It's a scaled-down version of the WW2 twin-tubed, eliptical framed bicycle and has 18" wheels. It's single speed and I'm considering buying a 1950's BSA / Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub and either buying new wheels or having the existing wheels taken apart the rims rechromed and then the rear wheel rebuilt with the 3-speed hub. This is all for my granddaughter, for the day she's big enough for the bike, maybe in a couple of years time. Any thoughts on using a 3-speed hub on a child's bike, which was no doubt originally for an adult sized bicycle? And any thoughts about re-chroming rusted wheels? I'd like to keep the bike as original as reasonably possible, but looking smart.
Best wishes,
Paul

tyred

Legendary Member
No problem at all using an SA hub on a child's bike. I had a few myself when I was a nipper and didn't manage to break them!

Good luck trying to find replacement 18" wheels. This was never a very common size.

OP
OP
P

Paulmh

Thanks Steve and Tyred. There always seem to be a few 1950's Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs and other necessary bits on ebay, but I've only seen 40 hole hubs (20 per side) whereas my kids' bike wheels have 10 spokes per side. I could just put spokes in alternate holes I guess, but it doesn't appeal greatly. Did Sturmey Archer make a 10 hole per side hub or am I expecting too much?
Any recommendations about where to go for preparation and rechroming?
Cheers,
Paul

Top Bottom