1960s Bike Identification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazzzza

Hello. This is my bike that I purchased second hand around 1973. The paint on the front forks is the original the blue is my respray. The only decal I remember is part of a Reynolds label. It came to me as a 10 speed, I do have the front derailer somewhere. I believe the original items are:- centre pull brakes, chain wheel, cranks, the retainers for the pump, saddle, handle bars, rear derailer. I have looked through the web and think its a Falcon but can not be sure. The frame number is PM780. I would be grateful if anyone could help me to identify the bike so I can get on to restore.

Attachments

• bike a.jpg
    bike a.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 32
  • bike b.jpg
    bike b.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 33
  • bike c.jpg
    bike c.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 27
  • bike d.jpg
    bike d.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 26
  • bike e.jpg
    bike e.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 22
  • bike f.jpg
    bike f.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 25
  • bike g.jpg
    bike g.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 22
  • bike h.jpg
    bike h.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 23

midlife

Guru
Falcon model 94? Someone will come along who knows more than me :smile:.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Holdsworth Pro had wrap-over stays. Other than Carlton can’t think of any others.
Agree though, looks a lovely project.

carpenter

Über Member
As the op said, it could be a Falcon - I know that the "super route" in the 1960's had wrap over seat stays.

Could the forks be from a different bike?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could the forks be from a different bike?
A distinct possibility

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It was quite common practice on quality bikes, such as 531 frames, to stamp the fork steerer with the frame number, so a match here would confirm originality, and a mismatch would confirm a replacement. Of course there may be no number, in which case you'd be none the wiser either way, but the fork crown design is quite distinctive, as is the wrapover stay design, so a bit of detective work may reveal the origin of both and whether they belong together or not.
Fork-bending crashes were hardly unusual events on this type of bike, so there are plenty of old steel machines around with forks that were either replaced with generic aftermarket ones from a bike shop, or ones salvaged from a donor frame.

Last edited:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
From memory of the early 60s, two features of this frame make it a possible Falcon. The first is the wrap-around seat stay which many makers flattened off to give a belt effect but Falcon kept as a reduced-diameter tube. The second is the absence of brazed-on stops on the top tube to guide and lighten the rear brake cable. One model which had both these features was the Black Diamond, designed by Ernie Clements, but I could not say if this is a Black Diamond. One additional feature which suggests it could be a Black Diamond is the rear drop-out. Many of the higher specification frames of the time had Campagnolo drop-outs with an integral threaded hanger for the gear and their typical captive-bolt wheel positioner. The absence of this feature again suggests the Falcon Black Diamond which was supplied with the Simplex Juy 60 Record rear gear as standard. As a footnote, I have seen Simplex Juy 60 Record rear derailleurs on sale for well over £1,000; so if the person you bought this from is still around it would be worth making an offer for any old boxes of bits that might have survived from the time the frame was new.

Top Bottom