1966 Sun Mass Start 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Honus

I am in the process of rebuilding my childhood pride and joy and am struggling to find exact or near colour matches for the frame. A mixture of white, pale blue and Metallic dark brown. Wondering if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction regarding the original colours?

Thanks

Tony

Proto

Legendary Member
Can’t help with colour identification but my mate at school, Malcolm, had the same bike and it was a thing of beauty. I was so jealous. Good luck with it. 👍

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Sun MS 100.JPG

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Hi, Thanks for the reply. That is the exact frame and colour scheme. I was just trying to get an exact match for the colours. I know its a long shot, but hoped somebody might have the original paint specs. The blue and white shouldn't be too difficult to match, but the metallic brown will be more tricky.

Bronze is probably similar to carton models used on Raleigh too.

Heathcote

I re-sprayed a 1966 Sun Mass Start bicycle a couple of times in school summer holidays back in the early seventies. It was white with chrome forks, so did not have all the colours in the pic.

I worked on R & D of paints in the nineties, and did some colour matching. Some of the pigments used in paints from the sixties were banned, and it might be difficult to do a colour match to the present colour which may have faded from the original colour.

I recall removing the cotter pins with a wooden block so as not to damage, and painting whilst suspended from the handle of a yard brush having removed the forks. I had rubbed down for several hours with different grades of emery paper, so smooth bare metal, then my brother hand painted the frame with coach paint just before I was about to do it.

I tried for a better finish with a spray can on a subsequent year, but not the same gloss as a factory finish. If I wanted to re-paint the frame of my 1987 Raleigh, still in good order, then I would get it done professionally.

Top Bottom