1970's Dawes Galaxy 22"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for one of these - a 22" 1970's Dawes Galaxy in green with chrome forks, as featured in this recent thread (which I missed, unfortunately, as the one in the thread was also the size I need). I'm looking for it to replace my almost identical much-loved and much-used Galaxy of the same vintage.

Thanks.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Nothing to do me with (I'm on lookout for one from 90's).... but this any good for you?
No size mentioned, but from the pic I think it may be 23" rather than 22"

OP
OP
beanzontoast
porkypete said:
Nothing to do me with (I'm on lookout for one from 90's).... but this any good for you?

Cheers Pete - yes, I'd seen this. If I can, I want to get one with drop bars, downtube shifters, and as close to the one I'm replacing as possible (though I'm quite up for a bit of modernisation of components; the one in the link I posted at the top looked like it would have the old style BB, the way-huge gearing of the double of that era, dropouts that wouldn't take a modern cassette without fettling etc etc - lot of work needed, but I've done it all once before so I know my way around it).

nuovo_record

beanzontoast said:
Cheers Pete - yes, I'd seen this. If I can, I want to get one with drop bars, downtube shifters, and as close to the one I'm replacing as possible (though I'm quite up for a bit of modernisation of components; the one in the link I posted at the top looked like it would have the old style BB, the way-huge gearing of the double of that era, dropouts that wouldn't take a modern cassette without fettling etc etc - lot of work needed, but I've done it all once before so I know my way around it).

'cor looking at that reminds me of a ladies one that a friend uses.....her's has nice chroome forsk, drops, vx rear mech, compact chainset too - all original.
i cleaned it up for her as she joins us on our saturday caual rides and she loves it - bit on the heavy side though, but it has rekindled her and she's gonna buy a new bike!

Velorum

porkypete said:

Looks good.

I have found that Birmalux rims are intolerant of modern 27" tyres though and it can be difficult to find makes that fit without blowing off at pressures above 30 psi.

Top Bottom