1971 Carlton Continental

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I've owned this bike for 46 years, its been with me through thick and thin. Gone through many different gear set ups and changes too. Just fitted a new sealed BB cartridge and nos Suntour levers, along with a well preserved Shimano long cage mech. Room for a 34 sprocket on the back I think too. Currently has a 28 with 38/52 up front.

P8192333.JPG

P8192335.JPG

P8192334.JPG

P8192336.JPG

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've owned this bike for 46 years, its been with me through thick and thin. Gone through many different gear set ups and changes too. Just fitted a new sealed BB cartridge and nos Suntour levers, along with a well preserved Shimano long cage mech. Room for a 34 sprocket on the back I think too. Currently has a 28 with 38/52 up front.

View attachment 658023

View attachment 658024

View attachment 658025

View attachment 658026

I love the colour of the Continentals from this period.
Your one is in exceptional condition, I love it.:okay:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Lovely looking bike with a great patina and it's great that you have such history together :becool:

I like the chainstay protector - was it sold for this purpose or is it cable wrapping? Looks like a potentially nicer alternative than the somewhat awkward velco/neoprene effort I'm running currently..

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Lovely looking bike with a great patina and it's great that you have such history together :becool:

I like the chainstay protector - was it sold for this purpose or is it cable wrapping? Looks like a potentially nicer alternative than the somewhat awkward velco/neoprene effort I'm running currently..

Im pretty sure that's what it was for, can be cut to length as well.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Have you had it from new ?

No my dad bought it second hand back in summer 1976, was the 70s times were tough and he had to buy a bike for my twin brother too! Its seen me to school, college and a host of all other places in its time. Its small for me, but a long seatpost means its still useable. The only original parts now are the frame and forks, the handlebars and stem, seat post and brake levers/hoods.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Im pretty sure that's what it was for, can be cut to length as well.

Thanks - looks well worth a look for the chainstay; probably a good shout on the top tube of a working bike that gets leant against stuff too :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
No my dad bought it second hand back in summer 1976, was the 70s times were tough and he had to buy a bike for my twin brother too! Its seen me to school, college and a host of all other places in its time. Its small for me, but a long seatpost means its still useable. The only original parts now are the frame and forks, the handlebars and stem, seat post and brake levers/hoods.

Basically though, the fabric of the bike is original. Excellent. :becool:

Top Bottom