1997 Univega Alpina 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This is my first post in the MTB area be gentle!! as Im really a Carlton enthusiast who used to do a fair bit of off road and the like.

Im currently giving this old machine a good clean and make over... (Ill post some pics later). Ive had this bike since new and just wondered how many other members have a Univega? - when I purchased this one back in April 1997 it cost around £500 then, has a good spec and damn rigid, light frame - a few years of communiting on it has left it in a bit of a mess - hence the clean, strip down an polish. Im fitting new grips, new tyres and new chain and B blocks...

Pics soon! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Spokesmann said:
A few shots of my refurb.

The bike has been looked after but has just got pretty grubby. Ive done a basic clean of the frame (work still to do). Im replacing all the inner cables too, some were cracking and the front changer cable has seized. New M65T block will be fitted along with some 2.4 Continental Mountain King tyres ( I still like to have odd off road excursion...). Im also replacing the IG chain with a new one, the current one is well caked and has a few stiff links.

A few details - frame is a nice light and is Chromolly frame, 18".
Front chainset is Shimao Alivio, cantilever brakes are Shimano Alivio too. Rear mech is Shimano STX and the front changer is Shimano Acera. Wheels are Weinmann 519s. 21 speed is controlled by Shimano EZ fire shifters.

Ive order some new toe clips too, once all the bit arrived this should be a fairly straight forward rebuild, although I do envisage some fun and games setting up the gears correctly...

More pics soon, here's where I am just now.

P8010798.jpg

P8010799.jpg

My workshop is a little compact...
P8010800.jpg

P8010801.jpg

P8010803.jpg

P8010805.jpg

I used a special puller to get the cranks off...
P8010806.jpg

My rear rack by Blackburns works with my panniers by Altura. The frame has lots of brazing for add ons.

P8010807.jpg

P8010808.jpg

Wobbly John

Veteran
I have a 1996 Univega Alpina 506 (LX/XT), and a '97 504 that I bought as a frame & forks and built up. In the shed is also my daughter's Univega Alpina 502 (STX) and I have a Univega Rover 300 as a hack bike for towing stuff to & from the allotment.

Your Univega 500 looks to me like a '96 model - in '97 they went for 'V' brakes and 1 1/8" headsets. £500 seems very over-priced. I paid half that for my daughter's STX equiped 502.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

I have a 1996 Univega Alpina 506 (LX/XT), and a '97 504 that I bought as a frame & forks and built up. In the shed is also my daughter's Univega Alpina 502 (STX) and I have a Univega Rover 300 as a hack bike for towing stuff to & from the allotment.

Your Univega 500 looks to me like a '96 model - in '97 they went for 'V' brakes and 1 1/8" headsets. £500 seems very over-priced. I paid half that for my daughter's STX equiped 502.

I fear you may be right.....
reading.gif

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Fitted new tyres today as well as new inner cable for the rear mech. Overall this is coming together now. Im looking forward to getting out on this one.
Still need to fit new grips and IG chain and some new toe-clips and straps.

Then just a good check over, adjust gears and brakes and fingers crossed it will be ready for the road by the weekend.

P8040833.jpg

P8040829.jpg

P8040836.jpg

P8040825.jpg

P8040828.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Fitted new chain and some other bits today. Was able to take the bike for a test ride and all seems fine - some adjustment to the rear mech was needed, but thankfully the indexing is all fine. I need to remove a couple of links form the chain, but apart from that the machine handles well and stops quick too. The tyres are very grippy indeed.

A few images I took of this first outing since a complete rebuild and clean.

P8070061.jpg

P8070060.jpg

P8070058.jpg

New grips...
P8070057.jpg

P8070055.jpg

P8070049.jpg

Excuse the ginger blob in this photo, he would not move!
P8070052.jpg

P8070053.jpg

Top Bottom