1st 50 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
Went out with the local CTC this morning and me on my MTB most of the rest (bar 1) on road bikes :ohmy:

Well it was a reasonably steady paced ride and I managed to keep up, mostly.

Made my personal best top speed of 39.2 MPH down a long steep hill and after 32 miles returned to our departure point. I had thought the ride was going to be a bit longer, so decided to head out on the cycle track myself and bump it up to 40 miles.

Well after 4 miles I thought, I've got time why not carry on.

With the CTC on road I averaged 13.2 mph, and after completing the 18 miles on the track, that had dropped to 12, but its quite hill round here and THB the engine was labouring by that point :biggrin:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well done jeltz :biggrin:

How long before you go out and try to beat the distance record, I wonder?
Almost 40mph too. Pretty quick for an MTB that :ohmy:

SD

Helly79

well done for cycling 50 miles I would like to join CTC group but I have always been worried that I only have a mountian bike I may have to join one now.

simon_brooke

jeltz said:
Went out with the local CTC this morning and me on my MTB most of the rest (bar 1) on road bikes :sad:

Congrats!

Now you know why the proper number of bikes for anyone to have is N+1. It's quicker (and less hard work) on a road bike, for places a road bike can go.

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
Helly79 said:
well done for cycling 50 miles I would like to join CTC group but I have always been worried that I only have a mountian bike I may have to join one now.

My local club do slower rides on Sundays, with have a cafe stop, however I've also put slick tyres on which helps keep up with the rest. While I had the knobbly tyres on I'd fall back from time to time and they'd wait, the only trouble was that as soon as I arrive, off we head they'd had a rest I hadn't :biggrin:

sswats

My first 50 miler is going to be the London Bikathon on the 19th July.

Need a bit more training for that.

colinr

I would like to join CTC group but I have always been worried that I only have a mountian bike I may have to join one now.

I feel the same riding about fixed in a group... it's hard to stick with one other geared rider on hills, let alone several. But I'm sworn to not buying the +1 bike until next year so I'll keep it antisocial for now xx(

Top Bottom