1st ever post: which bike to do the distances?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thechangingman

Hello there!

I stumbled across this site while trawling information about possible bikes to get involved in longer rides and maybe even doing a bit of Audax.

Its a long ol' story, but suffice to say that I am a little bit late to all this (I am 44 and haven't cycled properly for over 15 years until becoming a 'born again biker' earlier this year...)

My wife bought me a nice, simple hybrid so that I could do a bit of road, do a bit off-road and see how I got on. Well, I have absolutely loved it and after a lot of initial off-roading I have come to the firm conclusion and realisation that its the road for me...

Towards this end I am now looking at entry-level road bikes but ones on which speed is not the prime requisite, but rather the ability to spend potentially long hours in the saddle.

I did 102 miles a few weeks ago on my hybrid (something I really wouldn't recommend...) but it really solidified my desire to be doing longer distances.

I have brought my short-list down to two bikes now.

I would VERY much welcome any comments, advice and insight any of you might have about the respective benefits and pitfalls of these two.

Firstly, I have just test-ridden the really very lovely Specialized Secteur Sport 2010 and although it was a rotten, windy day it was clear that this was a nice piece of kit. I found it comfortable, light and more than fast enough to meet my needs. I'd be exaggerating to say that it 'ate up the bumps' but it wasn't as stiff as I'd imagined it might be. Its comes in, brand new, at £650 and my LBS has thrown in £50 worth of accessories.

The second bike is a second-hand Specialized Tarmac Comp (2006/7) that is in immaculate (almost unused) condition. A friend of a friend bought it for triathalons that never came to pass and so it is pristine. It has SPDs, an odometer and a couple of other bits and bobs. It'll cost me £600 if I get it.

So, the new or the used? The carbon or the aluminium? The speed or the comfort?

Given that I will be doing about 50 miles a week and with bigger weekend rides, hopefully leading onto 200km Audax adventures what do you more experienced riders think is my best bet?

Assume I know nothing and you'll be at my level and thanks in advance for taking the trouble to help me - its appreciated...

Noodley

The Tarmac comp.

The Tarmac Comp.
Ride it for all it's worth and, as you get to Noodley's age + n (:boxing:) swap it for a Spesh Roubaix.(Ianrauk) (If you are still up for long distance stuff.) or a Cervelo RS perhaps...Or a Hewitt made to measure (longers) A Condor Fratello (clivedb) or another of the multitudinous delights available for fun.

Welcome anyway. 44 - oh I wish...

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Having ridden steel, titanium, fixed, geared, mudguarded, mudguardless, road, touring and folding bikes on audax events, I don't think the bike's that important. Go with what takes your fancy. You can always change saddles, bars and other important bits.

gavintc

Guru
ASC1951 said:
then put a Brooks B17N on it.

A Tarmac should not have a Brooks saddle on it. :sad: That is just so wrong. The tarmac is a thing of modern grace and beauty, the Brooks comes another era. It will be like putting the seat from a Model T Ford on a sports car. :blush: Get a decent lightweight saddle to match not contrast the bike.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
gavintc said:
A Tarmac should not have a Brooks saddle on it. :becool: That is just so wrong. The tarmac is a thing of modern grace and beauty, the Brooks comes another era. It will be like putting the seat from a Model T Ford on a sports car. :wacko: Get a decent lightweight saddle to match not contrast the bike.

A saddle has one function - to be comfortable. If a Brooks does that for you then get a Brooks.

Noodley

Christ, let him get the bike first before you start telling him to change things!! :becool:

It will come with a saddle, see how that is first! :wacko:

ASC1951

Guru
gavintc said:
A Tarmac should not have a Brooks saddle on it. :birthday: That is just so wrong.
Well, you may have a point gavintc. On reflection I wouldn't want a plastic bike underneath my Brooks. Bikes should be made of metal, even bamboo at a pinch - but not ground up pencil lead and carrier bag.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They're not pencil lead and carrier bags - they're burnt string and Araldite!!!!

Seriously, get whichever one is the right size. If they both are, get the Tarmac. A second-hand bike will always beat a new bike for the same price.
But only if it fits.

Top Bottom