1ST HPV Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tongskie01

has done my first HPV race with BHPC at Lancaster ..nice bunch of people. surprised at the speeds a fully faired machine can do. first attempt 22.1 mph ave. 23 laps done 1.2 km/lap 216877_2282400256777_1151948464_32802338_7440804_n.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Good stuff.

I've wanted to go along and watch an event for some time, there's usually an event at Hillingdon quite late in the season. Maybe I'll be free this year.

OP
OP
tongskie01

tongskie01

i didnt know mike burrows had designed a time trial bike other than what chris boardman rode for the 1 hour world record tt. there was a guy who raced a giant time trial bike which apparently he designed too.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Resurrecting thread, as the Human Powered Vehicle World Championships for 2012 have just been announced for Friday, 08 June 2012 at 09:00 - Sunday, 10 June 2012 at 17:00, Fowlmead Country Park near Deal, Kent.

I should think this will be an excellent weekend's entertainment. I'm not into competition, but I'd be interested to see what my bike(s) can do.
Anyone else thinking of going?

Andy.

henshaw11

Hmm...thinking, but I was *thinking* about doing the nearby BHPC events last year when I was a member, and completely failed to get my backside along to any of 'em.

Tho' I'd kinda like to find out what sort of averages I'm doing on the lardspeedmachine before making an arse of myself by pootling around last...

(Ah, just checked, Hillingdon was last w/e too...)
I ought to make an effort for a gander at the WC tho'.

Just noticed
<<< that
bit about the Furai - and saw the gallery thread :sad:

How're you finding the seiran - and any news on the perpetrator ?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Just noticed
<<< that
bit about the Furai - and saw the gallery thread :sad:
How're you finding the seiran - and any news on the perpetrator ?

The Seiran is a thing of beauty and a joy to ride. The chain routing is much improved over the Furai and the front suspension does a surprisingly good job at sucking up the bigger bumps (it ignores the small stuff). There are only three issues with it at present:

1. The drilled out aluminium seat accurately delivers all surface water directly to my back. I've been spoilt by the carbon seat on the furai and closed section seating of the SMGTe and its always a surprise when a puddle comes up to meet me. The Furai seat wasn't perfect with the foul weather either, of course. Rain water seemed to pool in the bottom of the seat and the weave let it seep through into the hollow cross section (where it tended to remain until the bike was inverted). Good way to pick up an extra few kgs of weight...

I now run the Seiran with a bin bag down the back of the seat. That seems to work :smile:
  2. Although I still have two SON dynamos, neither fits the Seiran. One is built into a 20" front (SMGTe), and the other is somewhat wonkily positioned within the buckled 24" wheel on the Furai.

Until such a time that I can work this out, I'm using a cateye blinky and fibre flare to light up the Seiran. It works, but after two years commuting with the Cyo, it doesn't throw the light I'm used to.
  3. Erm. She's not the Furai. I loved that bike.

Andy.

henshaw11

The chain routing is much improved over the Furai

Room for extra tie-wraps, then ? ;)

the front suspension does a surprisingly good job at sucking up the bigger bumps (it ignores the small stuff).

ISTR when I was looking at Challenge stuff - before buying the spm - the front suspension was a bit of a question - no-one had anything demoable, and whilst Bikefix reckoned a new damping cartridge was due out, when was another matter. Good to hear it works well enough, there's been odd occasions on the spm where lack of bounce up front might have given me some pinch flats, additional comfort aside.

Err..I guess that's getting a bit off-topic..

Top Bottom