1st race cornering dramas...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay

Entered my first club event this week - basically a closed circuit road race for want of a better discription. I really enjoyed it (despite being rubbish!) and am looking forward to another go next week but a couple of issues bothered me...

1st - cornering, I was braking too hard into the corners and having to sprint out the other side to keep up. Obviously this is just a case of getting used to how roadie tires grip, turn etc in comparison to the 2.4inch things on my mtb.

2nd - Group Cornering, what's the ettiquette? Going into the corners (all 90 degrees) people seemed happy crossing in front of others from all angles, overtaking into bends etc etc. Obviously this is racing but if I was at the front (We're def talking hypothetically now:sad:) and my line through the bend meant I cut up someone trying to overtake or on a diffferent line would it be my fault?

During these group cornering overtaking situations I just moved out to the side and let the faster guys through as I didn't want to introduce myself with a big accident but this led to me getting dropped pretty damn quickly...

So yeah - any racing tips for a total novice?

Big John

Guru
Can't really comment as I don't know the course. In crit races, especially ones on airfields or motor racing circuits, you either go round clockwise or anti clockwise. I find I corner better going anti clockwise for some wierd reason. Anyway.....cornering properly takes practice. You have to get to know how far you can lean over without actually coming a cropper.

Coming out of corners will ALWAYS be a sprint so be prepared for it. Be in a smallish gear that you can spin quick, as you accelerate away then change up. You'll hear all the others changing gear too.

If possible don't be on the tail end. Get as far up the peleton as possible. The tail end is a crap place to be - swinging here, swinging there, always appearing to play catch up.

Try and keep your line where possible. Jumping about causes crashes. You can spot the dangerous riders if you look closely. Avoid them like the plague.

Be careful going round hairpins. If you continue to pedal through the corner be careful not to ground the pedal, especially if you have long cranks. It scares not only you but others when that happens and at worst brings you off. Also make sure your cleats are tight in your pedals. I've seen a few incidents when a riders foot has come out the pedal in a sprint. Not nice.

Racing can be dangerous but you can still ride fast and be safe if you use your head.

Dave5N

Über Member
Good advice above. Keep a line. If you can go wide in, apex the corner (go straight across, and exit wide. If in doubt, hold your line. Be predictable.

The bigger the turn the higher the speed you can sustain.

Pretty much in bunch racing, the further ahead you are, the better you are. Don't let peole bully you, but keep it safe.

yenrod

Road-racing is outright madness.

But you can some crazy instances where people just cut across you for no reason...its organised madness.

Then again, it is racing !

mr-marty-martin

or when they do silly attacks into the head wind at the isle of man ;)

dammm, i followed him, that makes me just as worse :stop::smile:

Top Bottom