1st sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChefDicko

Regular
hello, got my 1st one coming up in leicester, there are a few routes im opting for the 65 miles instead of the 80 wile im building up distance and its hilly, as ive never been on one i dont really no what to exspect. i no its not ment to be a race but i dont believe it, i have not meet a rider yet who is not competative, should i be ready for a all out assaullt?, will i get left following there dust? currently im doing around that distance every saturday avaraging 16 mph,
thanks Jim

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have only done a few sportives.My speed is similar to yours. Its surprising how much faster you will go on the day.As faster groups pass you you can hang on the back for a bit and get a bit of a lift until they drop you off theback.

People will overtake you very close, especially club groups.You have to concentrate on keeping your line and not wobbling about.Just be aware whats going on around you.

It is what you make of it,some peoples only priority is getting a fast time others are happy to go round chatting and enjoying the day.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I'm looking at the Bournemouth wiggle sportiv in may. Looks like fun and will be good prep for my Dorset 100m later in July. There doesnt seem to be anything around here close enough to get to before that!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
hello, got my 1st one coming up in leicester, there are a few routes im opting for the 65 miles instead of the 80 wile im building up distance and its hilly, as ive never been on one i dont really no what to exspect. i no its not ment to be a race but i dont believe it, i have not meet a rider yet who is not competative, should i be ready for a all out assaullt?, will i get left following there dust? currently im doing around that distance every saturday avaraging 16 mph,
thanks Jim

My tip would be don't chase faster riders and fuel at the feed stations. Ride at a speed you find comfortable with. As Banjo says you will find on the day you will get towed along by the event. I did a 100K charity sportive in October, with 7000 ft of climbing it was "hilly" The fastest time was about 4 hours the slowest 8.5 hours so a whole spectrum of riders including some pretty hardcore club riders. I am not a whippet and rode my own ride but still came in the top quarter so was pretty happy. There were a lot of people who had gone off fast but I ended up passing a lot of them in the latter half of the ride when they bonked, cramped, burnt out etc.

Ron Keegan

If I were you ChefDicko - and if that's your bike alongside your posting - I'd get the angle of the saddle sorted out before anything else !!!!
When that's done, get yourself a copy of cyclosportive+ by Chris Sidwells and published by A&C Black. It's got all of the answers and is rapidy becoming THE reference book for this particular cycling discipline.

All the best for your debut sportive.

PpPete

Legendary Member
At 16 mph you are not going to be "winning" - but also you are going to be home several hours before the tail-enders. If you want to carry on building up the miles there's always audax, proper food too, instead of energy drinks & gels.

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
If I were you ChefDicko - and if that's your bike alongside your posting - I'd get the angle of the saddle sorted out before anything else !!!!
When that's done, get yourself a copy of cyclosportive+ by Chris Sidwells and published by A&C Black. It's got all of the answers and is rapidy becoming THE reference book for this particular cycling discipline.

hey, what do you mean about the saddle angle? am i doing something wrong?

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
At 16 mph you are not going to be "winning" - but also you are going to be home several hours before the tail-enders. If you want to carry on building up the miles there's always audax, proper food too, instead of energy drinks & gels.
dont mean to be thick buts whats audax?

PpPete

Legendary Member
hey, what do you mean about the saddle angle? am i doing something wrong?
By normal standards it appears to be very much nose down. Most people consider level (or very nearly) to be right, some even claiming that wrong angle can damage your hips. I have one bike/saddle combination that works best with a nose-down attitude (although not as much as in your pic) but suggest you experiment and find best position for you.

dont mean to be thick buts whats audax?
http://www.aukweb.net/aboutauk/faq/

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular

had a look at what you said about the saddle tinked with it slightly, but i think the frame has a slight angle to it as well which makes it look worse then it is, thanks for the tip tho

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
Audax - seems to be a long ride where you get penalised for finishing too quickly and you are also forced to stop for tea and cakes on the way.

Ive just joined ^_^
well dont think im in any danger off being penalised just yet, but the tea and cakes sounds like a great idea, cakes are awsome :hungry:

Top Bottom